Early Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I suppose in the days before "Health & Safety" dominated all our lives, everybody walked to school. My mum took me on my first day at primary school, and thereafter I always walked the mile there and back on my own, and also at lunch times like Geoff. It's small wonder that the roads are so congested now. Perhaps if the nation returned to petrol rationing a lot of parents would suddenly find that their children actually had working legs again!

Our road is a few hundred yards away from our local grammar school. During term time it's so congested with sixth formers' parked cars parked there all day that we can often barely get in and out of our driveway! This may represent economic progress and increasing affluence, but when some of the pupils live barely a mile away from school, and certainly in the same village, one fears for their obesity in later life.
robo
KG Regular

Primrose it's also the joy of walking as well as playing games in fresh air these days all kids do is click buttons on tablets and mobile's
Monika
KG Regular

The strange thing is that, when I have visited my youngest daughter in Bonn, all the children seem to walk to school there, primary as well as secondary or, if too far, use public transport. If you saw a child of, say, 8 years on his/her own on a bus or suburban train here, you would wonder if they had run away from home! But that, it appears, is the norm in Germany. Certainly, her children were never 'taken' to school after their first day.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

We beat the All Blacks. Forgotten what I was going to say. :D :D :D :D :D
Geoff
KG Regular

Don't think we'll hear from Peter for a while either.
peter
KG Regular

Only because I'm in my Saturday's home game environment.
The shutter if down because, guess what, we have wind and rain aimed right at it.

Don't like sport on TV, too many opinionated pundits who just won't shut up. Don't seem to get ref:-mike on red button anymore.

1572095204936701462741.jpg
1572095204936701462741.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 3140 times

1572095318562637732442.jpg
1572095318562637732442.jpg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 3140 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Rain down here this morning, but a lot less than further east.
And up there on Snowdon it was snow.

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

It would be interesting to see the viewing figures for the game. We decided to get down early to get our few bits & bobs and it was creepily quiet & a bit weird tbh. But all done & home in time to watch. Mr Westi reports that when he went out after lunch there was a queue waiting to get into Sainsbury's & blocking the round about & generally causing huge delays - more beer needed maybe?? ;)
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Being tucked up in the dry on a sofa watching with a beer or two sounds a good venue to me but ai don,t suppose everybody can face beer that early in the morning. Perhaps people were saving their beer for afternoon viewing on catch up tv once they knew the result !
peter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Being tucked up in the dry on a sofa watching with a beer or two sounds a good venue to me but ai don,t suppose everybody can face beer that early in the morning. Perhaps people were saving their beer for afternoon viewing on catch up tv once they knew the result !

A fair number of my friends started the day at 8am with bacon rolls and Guinness.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And and extra hour for jobs today, doesn't get a lot better than that.. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

I spent some time this morning picking up handfuls of fallen ripe physalis fruits in their little paper cases from a border.

I,d always had the impression these were fairly exotic and difficult plants to grow. When we had a free packet with the magazine a couple of years ago I got just one plant to germinate from the entire packet which I planted out. I picked just half a dozen fruits from it and disappointed, then left it to its own devices. I obviously didn't,t realise the capacity for late ripeNing fruits to fall and self seed.

A couple of years later I,ve had them popping up and fruiting all over the border so have popped a number of fruits into the soil and will see what happen next year. Knowing my luck they will now probably disappear without trace!
Diane
KG Regular

Right - there's absolutely no room left in the greenhouse. Just dragged all the banana plant, canna and ginger lilies into their winter bedroom, as my weather app said it would be 2 degrees tonight. I'm knackered - it took 2 of us to lift some of the pots. Now the weather app has said it was fibbing a little bit and it's only going down to 6 for just one night..then getting a little warmer. Oh well, it would have had to be done sooner or later. Just who can you trust to give an accurate night time weather temperature?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

My day is the same most days run down the plot sort the chickens who have virtually stopped laying give my tomatoes peppers and aubergines in the pollytunnel a once over then back home to spend the rest of the day looking after my wife
Monika
KG Regular

Just finished digging the vegetable patch other than the leek plot. Now hoping for some hard frost by January before the manure goes on.
Locked Previous topicNext topic