Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

I'll see what mine taste like soon, they are just coming to harvestable size. (Now what variety are they? :? )
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Tomato 3 is trying to ripen, but all the plants look pretty happy even though I was expecting them to be a lot taller they are certainly cropping well. The Keder does not get as hot as a greenhouse which I think explains that as the ones at home in the greenhouse are at least 2' taller.

I am rather hopeful for a crop of sweet potatoes, they are definitely enjoying being in there. I have had to tie the vines up the struts as they were invading all the other crops. And yep I have photos! Still unsure which way they will post though, tried rotating them but they still post on their side most of the time.

IMG_4891.JPG
IMG_4891.JPG (4.19 MiB) Viewed 2673 times

IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG (3.98 MiB) Viewed 2673 times

Now just got to sort my profile pic, you can post on the main feed any size photo but still limitations on profile pics & I can't find the folder with my re-sized pics - it is somewhere but the search doesn't find it, goodness knows what I called that file! :)
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

A much better butterfly summer this year: yesterday we had painted lady, red admiral, small tortoiseshell, peacock, comma, holly blue and, of course, lots of white in the garden, and a possible white-letter hairstreak (it was too high up to identify clearly but we have had them here before).
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Strimmed over a large wasps nest this afternoon and got 12 stings for my trouble.....ouch....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Did you trigger the local speed camera?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I must admit Peter, I did run to the other end of the garden but, there was still about 20 very determined ones landing on me :) ...rather sore this morning....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

ouch!
I saw a tiger moth this morning, I stood still, he nearly landed on me, but changed his mind last minute! Very beautiful.
We have 2 red admirals who love to sit on my DH's van, one was waiting for him to come home yesterday, fluttered out of the bay hedge and bagged his spot on the roof! I have managed to get them to sit on my palm if I stand with my arm outstretched next to the van, its quite amazing!
Colin2016
KG Regular

Interesting to hear your comments on sweet potatoes Westi.
I am growing some in buckets under a cheap plastic green house which has just collapsed so taken plastic off hoping will still get result. The other is under a cold frame which is only opened to water.

The vines are spreading along the ground not interfering with any other plants so is it important to tie them up or just let them spread?
Elmigo
KG Regular

Looks like the summer is over for now with temperatures lowering and a lot of rain fall. Hope we get to see another bit of summer soon, even if it's final, because the mediterraneans and tropicals really do need it!

Already harvested a lot of cherry tomatoes and, because I can't eat them all at once, started freezing them on a plate. When they are frozen I can put them in a zip bag.

Screenshot_20190802-170646_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-170646_Gallery.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 2612 times

Also harvested a few jalapeño and cayenna peppers. Not much ripe ones for now but decided to try green jalapeño too. I will leave the other ones on to harvest in different stages. Is it just me or are those jalapeños way bigger than in the store? :?:

Screenshot_20190802-170705_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-170705_Gallery.jpg (947.85 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

Now all that I'm really hoping for is that my cucumbers are still on time. My early attempt failed so those cucumber plants are a bit late. Maybe need to put them indoors to ripen as there is no greenhouse. Really hope they are still on time!

Screenshot_20190802-170719_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-170719_Gallery.jpg (706.71 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
Stephen
KG Regular

Everything looking good.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

For now it does, yes! I'm just a bit worried about the cucumber being too late. We will see how far it goes! :mrgreen:
Primrose
KG Regular

Elmigo . I have 3 cucumber plants growing outdoors in a border. One is fruiting and the two others haven't yet produced their first flowers so I don't t think you're too late to get a crop. Are these ordinary cucumbers of the "mini" variety which mature very quickly.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Elmigo!

I had loads of failures with the cucumbers but just kept sowing & the last one has thrived & I've already had one medium sized fruit. (Weird, but like the melons they got to about 6" tall & then they stalled). Your heat will return as it is pretty early so fingers crossed for an Indian Summer for us both!

This evening I thought I had better tackle the weeds in the pots in the greenhouse at home & found the Cyklon Chilli plant had 2 stems & found these on the stem tucked behind the pot right near the glass. (It is a space I have to prep for to clear as have a resident spider who is not shy & always comes out to say Hi)!
fullsizeoutput_81f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_81f.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 2588 times
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Colin!

You do not have to tie the vines up, mine just started to invade the neighbours space in the tunnel. I also have 6 outside in an old broken cold frame. No lid, cracks in the glass sides, some no sides & I'm going to let those do their thing - which is only to invade the Jerusalem Artichokes who can take the thuggery. You can also wind them around themselves which I have done before. The vines are no indication of the size of the sweet potatoes but the tiny ones can be thrown in the pot skin on & just scrubbed to make many a delicious soup from many a different country & keep the biggies for roasting. The big ones store well with proper drying.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic