Anodized pans: Why can't I put them in the dishwasher?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stades
KG Regular

Most of my pots and pans and baking ware are "anodized", all of them say they can't be washed in a dishwasher.

Now these are quite expensive so I'm not willing to risk putting them in to see what will happen, but why if this makes them so tough can't they stand being washed in a dishwasher? I mean I've plastic tubs that can be washed in a dishwasher.

What goes on in a dishwasher that could harm them but doesn't affect other pans not anodized?
alan refail
KG Regular

Two part reply.
1 - I have no idea what anodized pots and pans are.
2 - My "dishwasher" has two hands, each at the end of an arm.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Stephen
KG Regular

I expect this restriction will be due to the salt levels in the dishwasher tablets.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:Two part reply.
1 - I have no idea what anodized pots and pans are.

2 - My "dishwasher" has two hands, each at the end of an arm.

Funny Alan, I also have one. :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

Doesn't take much googling for an explanation.

The rule of thumb is anodized aluminum cookware, nonstick cookware, and non-enameled cast iron pots and pans are NOT dishwasher safe. Some manufacturers are making progress in those areas.
from http://www.yourcookwarehelper.com/cookw ... -cookware/
Westi
KG Regular

It will be the salt content for sure Stades as it must react with the coating somehow. Funnily this technology came from the space race so other planets must not have salt. Just an erratic thought, but they clean easily with minimum effort so why would you want to shove them in the thing which takes far to long to wash & dry anyway?

On the positive welcome to the forum! Give us a gardening question & the guru's on here will give you proper answer, which will conflict with lots of the other stuff out there, but will be from experience, not books!
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I would have thought dishwasher detergent is fairly alkaline to saponify the grease. But may also react with aluminium giving off hydrogen.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I never stop learning on this forum....I will now be able to tell cook how to clean the pans properly... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Come on OH. Show us that lovely black eye !
Stephen
KG Regular

I will now be able to tell cook how to clean the pans properly...

:shock:
Stephen
KG Regular

I had a great afternoon on the 'lottie today. I got lots of weeding done. It may be dull but I feel a great sense of achievement when it has mostly been done, even though I know it will need doing again all too soon.

Also, there are a couple of patches ready for planting. Lots of manure and carefully raked and prepared (but being farmyard manure, there are plenty of weed seeds imported with it - this cycle reminds me of Falnders and Swann "It was on a Monday morning..."
israfil2010
KG Regular

Dishwasher is one kind of chemical, so it is not fair on regularly. Sometime it is react on anodized pans, but it has best alternative to use salt, salt is natural way to wash you anodized pans. I also sometime use salt for was pans because it is natural way to wash pans in the kitchen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic