Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Raining here all morning and yet I bet when dig my trowel down 3" below the surface I will find the earth is still as dry as a bone!
I think it,s easy to delude ourselves sometimes just how much rain is needed to penetrate deeply into the soil. I'm sure capillary action does spread the water distribution but not always as much as we might imagine and i wonder if deep rooted vegetables like parsnips and carrots have the capacity to absorb water along the length of their roots rather than just at the base. I suppose they must do to survive in dry weather.
robo
KG Regular

No problem with dry ground here ,it's been raining hard for three hours yesterday we had thunder and lightning
Westi
KG Regular

Supposed to big rain here but mostly drizzle with the odd sharp shower. The allotment will have loved it. I forgot to mention that both green courgette plants have mini fruit on them & flowers, & the plants looks so tinky tiny themselves as well! Please don't tell the neighbours just yet, but if these guys survive the move I had to make to accommodate the leek bed I am in for the annual glut! Luckily I know a few vegans & vegetarians at work so could work out OK!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

What happened to flaming June? Ooops didn't mean to swear. Perhaps we should all throw another shovelful of coal on the fire and get global warming back on track. I know, weather isn't climate but... Oh well almost time to rant at Monty instead of the weather.
Elmigo
KG Regular

This one day of 30°C sunny weather looked promising! Unfortunately rain and storm is all we get for the next week. Please, let there be sunlight soon :roll: I even had to protect most plants with a bamboo stick because they would have been blown down to the ground otherwise...
Primrose
KG Regular

Welcome rain to top up water buts and soil looks moister now. Lawns will be grateful too but dodgy weekend for those organising outside events.
robo
KG Regular

Last week end I brought the caravan down to dinas dinlle caravan park it's in a part of Wales my wife and myself have always loved ,I explained to the site owners I would be leaving the awning up as the pair of us are not fit enough to be putting an awning up every time we come ,I've booked the van on this site for four months ,this morning I got the dreaded phone call from the site warden "your awning has collapsed" as it was we were just leaving home to come back down for a few days as we left in a hurry last week due to my grandson who was about to get strangled by me anyway we arrived with in half an hour most of it sorted ,it's a new inflatable awning you thread it around the tube on the caravan and then inflate it so the instructions said as if life was that simple sorry to move away from growing and weeding but it's better than washing pans
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Since we missed vurtually all the rain that has been about over the last two months, it is lovely to be getting a good amount now.
I know you won't all be in agreement..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Happy to agree with you OH although looking at the the rain gauge I-treated myself to earlier in the year we haven,t had as much I'd imagined. Still, the water butts are now topped up and the current drizzle here will hopefully dissolve the blood fish& bone I sprinkled on the veg patch and some borders yesterday.

I tend to grow fairly intensely and know this is supposed to be slow acting so don't know how soon the various plants will start to feel the benefit.

I confess to being somewhat casual about the measurement of correct dosage per area so it may be a case of kill or cure! . How many of you work by "rule of thumb" on these applications? Do you all measure them out carefully using a particular measuring device or just go by rule of thumb? I tend to measure once to see what a dose should look like and then guess for the remaining applications.
Stephen
KG Regular

OH: well yes & no. It certainly is welcome but I would have been so much happier if half had fallen last month and only half as much now.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I noticed that both last week and the week before, Manchester had less total rain than London. And we have certainly not had it wet here so far this month, just enough to avoid having watering the beds but the pots are still in need of it.
Westi
KG Regular

Primrose I am like you, no time to measure exactly but do my best to guesstimate - so far so good!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Raining again here not drizzle but heavy and weather warning about more to come
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I managed to cut a bit of grass before the rain started again, anyone grown rice in Scotland?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

I set to and did a plumbing job today that's been hanging over me for a bit as the forecast and radar predictions were pretty ominous, in the end it went round us without a drop so I could have been outside all day. At least the piping got fixed!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic