Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

Just discovered that the previous owners of this garden were also growing fruits and vegetables, they even had a greenhouse on here so it must be perfect for a kitchen garden. Maybe add some new soil and nutrients in the mix, sure. Perhaps I need a sharp axe to cut through those roots if I can't pull it out easily. Basically we have two conifers and a few bushes to remove. Where I was standing to take this pictures were also a bunch of wild blackberries so I may have a bit of a problem with them in the garden. There really is a lot to do here!

Here's a picture of our future growing place, where the sun shines all day long on the south-east side :mrgreen:

20190624_181841.jpg
20190624_181841.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 3136 times
retropants
KG Regular

Oh my! You are going to have fun, aren't you? :)
Primrose
KG Regular

My earlier post disappeared so will have to start again! Yes there,s a lot of work to do to create the kitchen garden you probably have in mind but I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge. And we'll look forward to seeing photos of your progress.

I imagine some early thoughts will feature around :

*. How much sitting/eating/relaxing area you want? Even keen gardeners like you will need to relax & enjoy your efforts occasionally!

*. Will you keep any lawn? If so you'll need a mower or strimmer and definitely somewhere to store your increased range of gardening tools.

*. How much growing space you need and how to arrange it.

Its so tempting to rush in with enthusiasm and then find a year down the road that something else might have worked better.

However, I imagine clearing out all the unwanted shrubs will give you some time to ponder on these issues.

Incidentally I have blackberries & raspberries on a north facing fence and they cropped well when the soil was enriched . They just ripen a little later than others.

One thing which can be annoying for gardeners. You can't control what your neighbours grow on their sides of the fence which adjoins your garden so they may grow shrubs/trees which overhang the fence and create shade where you don't want it or equally irritating, grow things whose roots grow under your fence, invade your growing area and steal all the nutrients or moisture from your own plants! !

Happy planning!
Westi
KG Regular

Many congrats on your wonderful news Elmigo! Your own real garden!

Timing seems pretty good as well as in a couple of months you will have cropped a lot of your pots so it is not like having to sacrificing them as they will be on the way out, even if you could have limped them through for a bit with smaller crops! At the end of the day you've got to think very practically and empty pots will be easier to move.

Sounds you're onto a win/win there having a terrace & you have mastered pot growing, so while your learning about the new soil in the garden & getting the trees out you will still be able to grow fab crops in the pots! All the best of luck Elmigo!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Delighted for you, Elmigo!
I remember moving from a flat in London to a small town where I have a house wih a fairly small garden. Once that was up and running with various currants, raspberries and gooseberries with space for herbs and salad vege, I had to get an allotment!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Fruit and Vegetable growing is definitely addictive. When the roses in our front garden borders got badly infected with black spot which damaged them beyond viability I dug them out and planted redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries and strawberries instead. Front gardens are often under used and you never sit it them for relaxation so I figured ours might as well earn its keep by growing something useful. It also freed up space for a bigger vegetable growing area in the back garden.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:My earlier post ... Happy planning!

Thank you for the great advice and thoughts to keep in mind while moving towards a new garden! Like you said, there will be some things out of my control. When such things happen, or when something else may have worked better, I'm going to have to adjust to that. Maybe rearrange the garden, remove or add something or simply choosing different crops. I love the process! :mrgreen:

Westi wrote:Many congrats on ... best of luck Elmigo!

Thank you! There will be enough time to think about design of the garden and making it ready before the next season knocks on the garden fence. It sure is a perfect timing! I'm drawing a garden design from above very soon.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Glorious sunshine this morning, off to check for storm damage and potter in the greenhouse, hopefully strawberries for breakfast.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

I rather envy those with greenhouses when it's pouring with rain. As Tiger says, you can still potter, stay dry and enjoy hearing the rain pelting down on the glass. It's good to still feel part of the great outdoors whilst staying snug and dry.
robo
KG Regular

Heavy rain and thunder storms forecast as well as a blight warning
Elmigo
KG Regular

Today is going to be the hottest day of the week hitting 37°C in some areas close to me, including the balcony. I mean it's really hot. During the hottest part of the day I checked the temps up there, it was 38 on there! Fortunately I already watered the plants early this morning. They're having a hard time.
Primrose
KG Regular

I was watching our weather forecast this morning and it seems that continental Europe is currently suffering a debilitating heatwave. I would imagine that even vegetables which like hot weather like peppers and chillies are probably suffering.
Elmigo, I expect your watering can is working overtime. One thing I learnt in our heatwave here last year, lettuce seeds simply refuse to germinate in such hot weather so sometimes sowing for succession isn't always easy.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Yes, the watering cans are working overtime indeed! Luckily I have three of them which is enough for all the plants. Then I refill them for the next watering. Now that you mention it, I had just sown lettuce right before the heatwave! They sprouted and are growing well. If I was two days later it probably wouldn't even germinate. The peppers seem to love the temperatures on here, except for the hottest parts of the day, leaves were hanging.
Primrose
KG Regular

My peppers in pots outside against the house wall wilted in the heatwave here last year. In the end I draped some wet garden fleece over them lightly to protect them from the worst of the hot midday sun sun. However I'm retired and can be around to do that. I guess you're still having to work so can't be around during the day.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Yes but I'm also working at home as I'm starting a business. I can be there for the plants more. I don't think I will ever retire from that! Plants are my life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic