Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Same here Retroants, I have been out there but, soon came back in again....looks like I will be working all weekend again, so glad I got on top of my own allotments, as it looks like they will be neglected for a couple of weeks now....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Had a Blightwatch warning yesterday and another one this morning. Not sure whether I should plough through the garage looking for my spray gear or risk it.
Anybody else had one? My tomatoes are all outdoors.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Monsoon season is in full swing up here, only gardening that can take place is in the greenhouse, luckily everything is growing well, tomatoes just starting to flower now, sweet corn is growing fast as are the butternut squashes. Picked our first Cayenne chillies from a plant that I overwintered in the conservatory, this years sowings all have fruit, but no where near ready for picking just yet.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Elmigo
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:... Picked our first Cayenne chillies from a plant that I overwintered ...

Really? I never thought peppers were perennials! I know tomatoes are but overwintering is a bit more difficult than just sowing seeds again next year. Our Cayenna and Jalapeño peppers are just starting to fruit now.

So basically if you do overwinter the peppers you get earlier harvest the next year? And do they produce just as much?

Screenshot_20190613-124114_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190613-124114_Gallery.jpg (755.88 KiB) Viewed 2688 times

Screenshot_20190613-124104_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190613-124104_Gallery.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2688 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A bit of a strange question but, why are dish cloths meant to be better than a flannel? I did a bit of washing up this morning and couldn't find where Cook keeps the dish cloths, so used a flannel....seemed to do the same job... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

It's the first chillie plant that I have overwintered, basically it seems to be around a month ahead of my other plants, but it has been rather badly hit with whitefly and is looking a bit sorry for it's self just now. I don't think this same plant will be kept for a third season, but I may repeat the exercise with another plant next year.
Primrose
KG Regular

TIger, I,ve often tried to overwinter chilli and pepper plants after hard pruning them back late autumn when I bring them indoors and change a little of the compost. . Yes they have flowered earlier than newly sown plants and produced some fruit but in the end they always seems to fall victim to whitefly and the more plants ai have indoors the quicker the whitefly spread. I,ve tried spraying them thoroughly under the shower but nothing has really kept them at bay long term so I tend now to sow fresh in early February every year now.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Just popped out in the rain to get some pictures, better than a thousand words...………
This years Cayenne
Cayenne.jpg
Cayenne.jpg (456.09 KiB) Viewed 2673 times

This years Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Hot Wax.jpg
Hungarian Hot Wax.jpg (483.91 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Over wintered Cayenne
Overwintered Cayenne.jpg
Overwintered Cayenne.jpg (445.93 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

and the fruit from it
2019 Cayenne.jpg
2019 Cayenne.jpg (341.92 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

so the plant does look sickly, I thought this might have been down to me and my in experience, this has been soaked with a spray of washing up liquid and water, seems to have removed the whitefly. I shall see how it goes before deciding on the over wintering later
Colin2016
KG Regular

The other day my plot neighbour turned in in big convertible good job it was sunny.

Anyway he got the strimmer out great I thought he's going to clear his plot at last, well 20 mins or so latter he left after cutting 2ft weeds down to half size not even at ground level let alone clearing the weeds he had cut.
Westi
KG Regular

Colin, he probably got a warning to work the plot or lose it - token gesture & no intent of planting, but the stuff they cut & paste into the warning letters are not specific enough. I have a similar situation on the plot 2 down - doesn't cover the brassica's & runner canes no more than 4' tall. Trying to keep the plot in memory of her husband who could grow, but he is probably finger wagging at her from above. Shoves stuff in but gets no crops & only comes down about once a month.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

You could be right Westi.... no sign of anything planted though unless you class the carpet laid down beginning of the year.
Geoff
KG Regular

Does the tartan frighten the aphids? Would bagpipes work better?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'll try the bagpipes, frightening is perhaps not quite the word I would use though lol.
Stephen
KG Regular

I was keen to go to the 'lottie on Friday as the dun shone but the undergardener had other ideas.
Yesterday in a meeting all day, now looking after my father.
But I bet plenty has grown!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic