Be Nice to Snails

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Been hearing that I have to be nice to snails as well as slugs, not a chance for either on my plot, they enter at their own risk.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think there’s plenty about, so i’m going to protect my seedlings!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

In 'normal' years I just move them to the hedge row, but this year with all the rain it is a total invasion! They have a place in the eco system for sure; but like all overly successful species there has to be a cull to recreate the balance or the whole species will die out. I can't squish them or like seeing them dried out on the ground risking another species, so rely on Sluggo. I'm unsure how it works but when they feast on these granules they go underground to die so no risk to other secondary feeders.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

When qi was actively gardening qi confess I used to rehome them by throwing them over the back garden fence into the garden wasteland that still exists there. Now aI can't get out there to have a regular urge aI expect they,re having a field day.

I always believed that thrushes used to enjoy feasting on them once they'd cracked their shells but sadly haven't seen a thrush in our garden for ages.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic