Plastics in the food chain

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

If the National Trust can now send their magazine and handbook out in a paper type compostable wrapper, I,m sure it must be possible for a magazine devoted to food production to copy their example. 12 issues a year multiplied by how many subscriptions?? Every little helps!
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote:I am at a loss over the chemical’s in food chain concern.

Perhaps we should not be growing in the earth but use hydroponics’ instead?

But then what about contaminates in the water that we do not know about.

I questioned my self over my use of plastic whilst on the plot yesterday.

I use plastic trays, bubble rap, plastic blades for strimmer, plastic buckets, plastic water butts, plastic sheeting and plastic guttering.

Is the soil being damage from these items coming into contact with the soil I wonder?

As for burning suspect items in the stove don’t let the London mayor know. lol

I think it is possible to worry yourself too much. Worry about only those things you can change. Hydroponics surely can't be the answer, plastic tanks, plastic pipes, plastic trays etc etc. The other thing to remember is one of the issues with plastic is exactly its long term stability, which hopefully means it doens't leach so much into soil, if is remains intact ?

The London mayor has no jurisdiction over me - anyway, it is the stuff with potentially BPA in it I was talking about, and I'm sure that will be dissociated by burning - its H, C and O only.
MattW
KG Regular

My wife has been insisting we use bags in the food waste bin as liners and I’ve just emptied the composter and even ten months on they’re pretty intact despite being advertised as “biodegradable”. Maybe they just take longer. Maybe Mrs W is going to have to accept we don’t need a bin liner.

What is the difference between biodegradable and compostable ?
Primrose
KG Regular

That,s strange I posted but the post disappeared so posting again.

I keep a compost caddy on my kitchen worktop and put a sheet of kitchen roll or some newspaper in the base of it to soak up the inevitable moisture which accumulates in the bottom of it. Then I either throw the contents direct onto heap or when it's cold. I wrap the contents in newspaper and put the newspaper bundle onto the compost heap in the hope that any heat generated inside it will help everything rot down a little more quickly.
Monika
KG Regular

We have three compost bins: one nearly ready to spread, one 'stewing' and one 'live' and today I emptied them out and moved them on in order to aerate them and introduce some torn up corrugated cardboard. And, guess what, I found all the supposedly biodegradable bags (from wildlife mags) completely uncomposted. I put them into our municipal garden compost bin but it feels quite strange to put 'plastic' in there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic