Wilkinsons seed potatoes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

Evening all,
I was in Wilkinsons yesterday and saw that they have seed potatoes and onion sets in. The seed potatoes seemed really cheap at £2.50 for 2kg, with a reasonable choice of varieties.
Has anyone tried these? I'd like to chit some now in the hope of getting my raised beds sorted out in the next couple of months, but don't want to spend a fortune on the spuds in case the beds take longer than hoped and I don't get them in in time.
Ta!
Westi
KG Regular

All reports give them the thumb's up that I have seen. Pa bought some shallot sets he was pleased with from there. I've had seeds before & very happy with the germination & keen price. You could always just get some cheap potato sacks from there as well & if not finished with the beds they will not be wasted & you will get a crop. I was given some of their sacks & they are the same material as the others with a flap at the front to access for a feel around when nearing ready. I gladly accepted these spud sacks to try to get some decent carrots this year.
Westi
snooky
KG Regular

Evening Vivienz,
I have been buying my seed potatoes from Wilkos and onion sets and shallots since moving five years ago.No allotment shop in Farnborough and the local garden centres are expensive,so I tried the cheapest option,Wilkos, and have had excellent results albeit not a great choice of varieties.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks, both, I shall take the plunge. Good idea about the potato sacks, Westi, I will have a look for them as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic