Happy Burns Night !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

To all our Scottish members and those north or the border !

We have just turned Dry January into Damp January here with a small noggin to toast the poet! . Alas no haggis though. :( Must see what our village butcher has got tomorrow!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Well I live north of the border, but I was born in Leicester, but I'll pass your best wishes on...…………………...
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Define neeps.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Up here they call them Turnips, but they are actually Swedes, but what ever they are, a nice accompaniment to the Haggis( though for flavour I prefer faggots which are very similar using the same offal I believe) Cranachan for afters is superb in any language though. A local farmer always grows a field full under fleece in an organic manner, sure he hasn't got accreditation for the soil though.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

I quite like haggis and neeps but think the dish definitely needs a generous helping of gravy to moisten it. . Didn't go to a Burns Night bash last night but on previous events we've been to with one organisation they served the dish dry, so our group used to take flasks of nice hot gravy with us and those around used to look on rather enviously !
Geoff
KG Regular

We wind our Scottish friends up about neeps quite regularly, we only grow swedes and they definitely call them turnips or neeps. We love cranachan too, didn't realise it was the sweet to follow haggis, good reason to have a supply of frozen raspberries.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic