Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

Welcome back OH.
We can't have you enduring back pain! Just think of all the stretching and bending needed about the place
Meanwhile who is winding the church clock?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

I suspect OH is probably not up to climbing spiral staircases to wind the church clock yet but hanging from a bellrope will be a good spine stretcher for his sciatica ! Probably the thought of any physical activity at the moment though is making his eyes water so any forecast snowfall will relieve his guilt at being rather inactive at the moment.
jeff64
KG Regular

Nice to see you in good spirits OH,welcome back.
robo
KG Regular

50 m.p.h. winds here overnight ill be going down to the allotment shortly to see what damage has been done it is in an un sheltered position so I'm expecting the worst but the gale was in the right direction blowing across the shed into the pollytunnel so hopefully I will get away with it
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, pretty blowy here over the past 25 hours. I've twice had to go into the garden to rescue cloches which have been whipped up from their anchorings and blown all over the lawn. Just fortunate I suppose that we don't have tall structures like climbing bean frames heavy with foliage up at this time of year.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Same here, some strong gusts....hoping to go and have a look over the allotment later, that will be the first time in nearly three weeks...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

It's tempting to hope the winter's over round these parts. We had a bit of gusty wind, but very little real rain. Chilly but sunny at the moment. And after tonight there's nothing bad in the forecast for the next couple of weeks; temperatures in or near double figures, even rising to 12 on Thursday.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Diane
KG Regular

Hooray- very tempted to sow some beetroot seeds in the green house today. The seed packets are calling to me but I know it's too early still for most pretties.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

Very wet with a cold wind here. Did some weeding in a border yesterday and after all the kneeling and bending down my joints are really letting me know ! Oh for the day when we can just opt for a can of oil and a few greasing locations ! It seems to get a bit harder every spring especially after a few weeks of relative winter indolence.
Monika
KG Regular

I emptied one compost bin today and stirred the the other two with a bit of Garrotte thrown in.
Also put the broad beans on damp kitchen paper to swell and prepared the root trainers into which they will be sown, in the cold greenhouse. If necessary, they can eventually be planted out under a netting cloche to give them some protection because I am hoping that the broad beans will be finished in good time to enable me to use the same bed for winter brassicas.
Early potatoes are chitting.
Primrose
KG Regular

I keep checking my chilli & pepper pots in the airing cupboard and nothing seems to be germinating yet. I know they,re slow starters and the seeds look thick skinned little perishers.

Do you think they would benefit from being kick started by soaking on damp kitchen tissue first?
Does anybody germinate theirs by this method?
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My operation was cancelled, arrived at 7 in the morning then stuck in a taxi and sent home 3 in the afternoon, back to waiting again.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Tiger - that is awful. So disappointed for you. All this psyching yourself up and domestic preparation only to be let down at the last minute is horrible. I suppose its as a result of staff or bed shortages but that is no consolation. So hope you get recalled soon.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I was supposed to be a day patient so no bed required, the first operation of the day hit problems so I was pushed off the list so they said.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Diane
KG Regular

So sorry to hear that - so much anticipation and planning...only to be let down.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic