Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How frustrating for you Tigerburnie, I can't think of many things that can be worse than that.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Sorry to hear that tiger ,it happened to my wife when she went in to have the cancer removed from her back passage she had to Waite to the following weekend
Westi
KG Regular

That is the problem. What should be routine turns out complicated & then time wasted getting the 'expert' down for advice as in A & E & everyone is bumped off the list from the bottom if suitable. I'd actually say rejoice in that, as that man or women that caused the problem is unlikely to have a great outcome. Your were bumped off as 'routine' tiger - don't prove them wrong mate we've had enough bad news on here to last a while!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Tiger, so to hear of your delay. I hope you are top of the list next time.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

One doesn,t know whether to be grateful or not that your medical issue is not deemed problematical because to the individual, if you're down for surgery it's obviously a problem. However I gather the more complicated surgeries are usually at the beginning of the operating list. When my husband had cataract surgery recently he arrived at 7 am but was one of the last to be operated on because patients who had diabetes related problems were ahead of him in the queue.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Well the hospital just rang and I am due to try again a week tomorrow, just hope it's not cancelled again, my daughter is the only person who can take me in and bring me back, a major inconvenience for her really and a 100 mile round trip.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Fingers crossed Tiger! . Does your Community run a Good Neighbour scheme with volunteers who will drive people to and from hoapital for just the cost of petrol? I imagine yiur GP surgery would have details if one operated near you. Obviously an inconvenience for your daughter if she has to take time off work and then the surgery is aborted.
Primrose
KG Regular

I was thinking about the "uncalculated costs" of all these cancelled operations. Throughout the whole country there are not only the costs of aborted transport lifts to and from hospital where often relatives have taken time off work, but how on earth do you cost on any balance sheet the emotional stress it puts the patient and family members under by having operations cancelled, or even consultant and routine hospital appointments. And let's not add in the stress of even trying to get to the hospital in the first place and finding somewhere to park that doesn't involve the size of a second mortgage.

If I were rebuilding a nation's structure from scratch I'd start the other way around. Build all the hospitals, schools and stations first with double the parking spaces you think you'll need and then invite the population to move in afterwards. Remember all these three lane motorways which were deemed at the time to be more than adequate and now we're having to use the hard shoulders to provide extra capacity.

Apologies - I've really taken us off OH's Mid Winter Bits and Bobs topic !
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, that's why I started the Bits and Bobs topics, so anything can be brought up at anytime, so please don't apologise....anyway, your posts are always full of interest and keep the forum going.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sitting waiting for the Asthma Nurse to give me an M.O.T. Up on the board it mentions that in any given month, some 35 people do not turn up for Doctors appointments. Some 420 a year. :(
Primrose
KG Regular

My new dentist nearer home to whom I've recently transferred now charges an advance £30 deposit for each new appointment fixed. Its returnable on arrival, unless you haven't given them the statutory 24 hours notice of cancellation.
Our GP surgery flashes up a screen showing missed appointments every month without cancellations. Around 350. It,s a big practice and pretty hard to get an appointment at short notice so I wouldn't be against charging a penalty for no shows.
robo
KG Regular

I keep getting calls to go an see the asthma nurse but I just can't be bothered I know I should but we all have to go sometime and she says the same things every visit ,some of the excuses I'm making lately even surprise me
Monika
KG Regular

'Mid Winter Bits and Bobs' seems quite inappropriate for today, because it has been a glorious early spring day (don't take any notice, OH - winter will return, no doubt)! We spent the last two days cutting back our long and very prickly rose hedge, pruned the buddleias and dogwoods and had a general garden tidying, all done without a jacket or cardie. The honey bees and other insects were buzzing on the snowdrops, crocuses and irises and a mistle thrush sang right on top of our tallest larch tree. Just lovely.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Freezing up here at the moment, I could see the hills at the back of Montrose still snow capped.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

It's been sunny this afternoon but cold with an east wind blowing steady
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic