Early signs of spring?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

It's quite a few years since I last saw daffodils poking their noses through on my birthday two weeks before new year. They did last month and now three weeks later they are as much as six or seven inches high. Snowdrops are in flower earlier than usual too. Keeping fingers crossed we are in for a mild winter and an early spring.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Clive.
KG Regular

That's interesting because over here in the East our Snowdrops, I think, are very slightly behind some years. Only by a few days, comparing some photos of previous years, and nothing that a little Winter sun wouldn't correct. That Winter sunshine being noticeably absent of recent, the forecast included some for yesterday....but it didn't show up.

The first snowdrop was showing a flower on Boxing day but not actually opened up, joined a week later by several others and just 3 Winter Aconite lifting their heads.
Winter Honeysuckle flowers just opening, Primrose rosettes noticeably grown over the last week.

I have been writing the update for our work January newsletter and have ended it with a wish for dry workable weather but for a little more Sun...for Snowdrop, Aconite...and Gardeners benefit. :)

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The daffodils and snowdrops are definately early again this year, here....the early varities are just about to open....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I can only boast of daisy's. :(
Clive.
KG Regular

I should add that a new weed, to around here, Bristly Oxtongue is doing very well for itself having blown through/over the fence :(

C.
Stephen
KG Regular

Early signs of spring?

I love an optimistic outlook. But at the same time, I remember last winter, which was only nine and a half months ago!
But then in my youth (the 1960s) the worst weather was always in January or February.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

First day for a week we have had temperatures above freezing today, we are waiting for the snow up here.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
alan refail
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:First day for a week we have had temperatures above freezing today, we are waiting for the snow up here.

Down here and out west forecast temperatures for the next ten days are between 7 and 10 and not much lower overnight.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

As with Clive, our spring bulbs seem to be slightly behind this year, probably because of the lack of sunshine. This anticyclonic gloom the last few days has been quite depressing, so I am hoping for a bit more light shortly. It's also been unseasonably dry. My OH, whose birthday falls at the end of January, always says that winter starts then ...... He may just be right this year.
Diane
KG Regular

I've got self seeded cerinthe seeds growing in the lawn - they've seeded themselves from a nearby flower border. I don't know why they're so expensive to buy in packets - grow like weeds here. They've survived the latest frosts too.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
retropants
KG Regular

There were open daffs on Christmas eve in Dorset (hedgerow). There are also some open in Middlesex near where I live (council green space)
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We have gales and warmer weather today, even sunshine with a clear blue sky, expect temperatures to plummet when the wind drops, I can see Snowdrops in bud from the conservatory, not been out yet in these gales, but the ashes will need disposal(wind will blow most of it over me and the garden before I reach my hot ash bin) and the birds will need feeding too.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lots of snowdrops and aconites open at the big house.....started cutting the holy hedges this morning, hoping to get them done before I go in...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Holy hedges ??

Were the hedges Psalm trees

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

Got a flood alert saying "Tides are expected to be higher than usual due to the forecast weather conditions during spring tides."

Short winter we had... Lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic