How Was Yours ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

How was your Christmas Day

Hope no disasters befell anyone
No dogs nicking the dinner I trust

What a good day, thanks to the effort made by daughter with Christmas dinner.

Carrots, cabbage, parsnip, leeks & brussels all freshly dug off the plot
Only the Turkey, Beef, potatoes & sweet potatoes were shop purchased

Daughter made great effort to puree everything for me with everything in its own individual pot with a piece of unpureed item on top so I could tell which veg was which.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So pleased all went well Pa Snip, you were in my thoughts when I was tucking into my feast but, I did smile to myself as I knew you would make the most of it whatever you had to do.....

Just a little annoyance more than a disaster....for the guests,it was arrival at 12.30, dinner for 1 o'clock sharp, at 1.15 the inlaws hadn't turned up, so we went ahead with the serving up....1.45 they turned up, Father in law drunk from staying in the pub....so threw the other courses out of timing a little....the thing that upset Cook most though was, no apology!!!!!

But apart from that, we had once of the nicest Christmas's we have had for many years..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

As is often said, you can choose your friends but not your family.
How inconsiderate !!!

Glad you enjoyed apart from that

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I had an in law problem once, they are now the out laws.
Ours was quiet and tranquil, off to our daughters with a 4 and 7 year old , might be less tranquil lol
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Enjoy , they seem to grow up too quickly these days.

Diane
KG Regular

We had a brilliant day too - daughter and husband made us a fantastic meal - herb fed free-range rooster from a firm in Norfolk. So tasty. Beautifully decorated room and table and lots of delicious food. If you haven't tried rooster for a roast meal then give it a go.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

Pa - Glad you enjoyed your lunch,and how thoughtful of your daughter to put a little marker on top of each puréed item to note its contents.
OH - Cook did well to restrain her annoyance after all her culinary efforts but just shows how the ethic of Peace and Goodwill to all men can be severely tested at Christmas. If you repeat next year I,d be tempted to tell them that you will be serving lunch on time and they will indeed be doing cold turkey !
We had a pleasant quiet relaxed day and a lovely meal. I couldn't help thinking though that these days we have a three month increasingly frenetic run up to the occasion and it's all too quickly over. I do wonder why people allow themselves to get so stressed over an event which in reality lasts for such a short period of time.
robo
KG Regular

We have just got back from our daughters. Her and our son in law gave us a great day and night I don't remember going to bed my finger is shaking terrible trying to type this a sure sign of to much alcohol ,best part was the joint present off our two daughters a long weekend in a cottage just outside aberdaron in january
Monika
KG Regular

The greatgrandchildren, aged 1, 18 months and 30 months old provided the background noise yesterday and I provided the food - the rest was just a lot of chatting and laughter. We also had some good news on Christmas Eve: the oncologist himself phoned my cancerous grandson to tell him that the radiotherapy is working well and, if all goes well in between, the big operation to remove the offending bit will be at the end of January.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Monika wrote:The greatgrandchildren, aged 1, 18 months and 30 months old provided the background noise yesterday and I provided the food - the rest was just a lot of chatting and laughter. We also had some good news on Christmas Eve: the oncologist himself phoned my cancerous grandson to tell him that the radiotherapy is working well and, if all goes well in between, the big operation to remove the offending bit will be at the end of January.

Good news indeed. I've heard of so many cheerful, helpful caring oncologists. A definite change in approach compared to when a visit to a cancer clinic for consultation was a harsh fearful occasion

Wishing your grandson swift and successful treatment & eviction of his own personal Alien Within.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
KG Regular

I'm glad your daughter went to so much effort Pa, how very thoughtful. I'm sure you miss the firm crunch of any considerately cooked vegetable. I know I would.
My Christmas was decidedly low-key. The undergardener & I were looking after my 95 y.o. father who is very self-centred and delights in attention but (ostensibly) dislikes Christmas (although was outraged by the fact that my sister chose to go away for the week).
I have become firmly of the opinion that the major meal should be in the evening because that allows you to make the most of the daylight and do all the (indoor) food preparation when it is dark outside.
Last edited by Stephen on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Quiet here at Westi's!

Just Mr Westi, me & the critters this year. We still did the full deal food & drink wise, but it was only when we went to bed that we realised we just slouched around in our tracksuits & slippers & didn't do the dress up!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic