Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Despite the fact we are hoping to find a reasonably local supplier of loose seed potatoes (Say within 20- 30 miles) I have also been looking online.

Ye gods, the price difference !!!.

You have to watch the pack sizes, some are 1kg others 1.5, very few at 2kg

Prices per 1kg pack seem to be between £4 to £6
Before our previous supplier retired we were paying £1.65 per KG for loose select your own

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It shows how things get maked up out of all proportion...I'm paying just under £1.20 per kilo on average, some varieties I have ordered are just over that and some just under.....So the companies that are buying in bulk, will be getting them even cheaper than that... :evil:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Our association orders a selection and sells off a pre-order list, most is sold before they are delivered to us.

£2.50 per 2kg pack
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Found a garden centre near Arborfield, Reading, that sells loose. not found out prices yet.
Not sure yet how many varieties they normally stock

Somewhat further away, but would make a nice ride out, Buckingham Garden Centre claims to supply around 60+ varieties
Again no idea of price yet, have sent email

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I don't suppose price is too much of a problem, to a man of your wealth Pa Snip :twisted: ....but nice of you to think of others... :)

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Our association has some in already as well, just don't sell them loose but having just looked again at the the sliding scale prices I could be tempted to buy pre-packed.
25kg bag £30
2kg bag £2.40

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Potato_Order_2019.jpg
Potato_Order_2019.jpg (284.95 KiB) Viewed 3743 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I don't suppose price is too much of a problem, to a man of your wealth Pa Snip :twisted: ....but nice of you to think of others... :)

My main wealth is, and has been for a long time, my friends.
I do try and save money on plot items, after all to me that is partly the purpose of having an allotment, but it has cost a lot to build the raised beds and yet another one is waiting to be done. Wont be by me though I hasten to say.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Touching words Pa Snip....and as always, still thinking of things you can put on here, that will useful to others.

I did notice that you don't get any discount for buying a larger weight....

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Apparently most of the seed potatoes produced in Britain come from the area near Coupar Angus in Perthshire, now as I pass the places several times a month, I wonder if I "click and collect", I might get them at wholesale prices...……………..?(probably not lol)
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Diane
KG Regular

Worth a try though.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Touching words Pa Snip....and as always, still thinking of things you can put on here, that will useful to others.

I did notice that you don't get any discount for buying a larger weight....

Only for 25kg sack otherwise all £1.20kg (oops I got that wrong !!!! even 25kg bag = £1.20 kg) Not going to split hairs over that though, its only a 10 minute drive to the trading shed
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robo
KG Regular

I ordered our spuds in September ,Winston, Charlotte,Nadine, and wilja whether these are the ones I finish up with we will have to wait and see, my mate takes the orders and puts it into the hut which is a local none profit making group of gardeners I don't know the price yet but it will be cheaper than any other local supplier and they will be good there won't be any pea size sets like you get on line , and most are 2 or 2.5 kilo bags
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Managed to get some digging done over the allotment today, not a huge amount but, a setion 30 foot by 10 foot.... I did do some in the morning, then some in te afternoon.....but at least I have made a start.

Monika
KG Regular

I spread some home-made compost and rotted farmyard manure on the vegetable beds in the garden and some old potting compost onto flower beds. The weather forecast is brill for the next few days, so hope to get some walking in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic