Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

OH: very generous of you; the other comments are true - life can be tough. Not everyone manages well.

Meanwhile, like Westi, my salad leaves are growing brilliantly, it's just a shane I am away for a week looking after my father whillst my sister has a week on holiday.

My leeks are not standing particularly well. I'll have to read up on the problems and check what variety I chose this year. They grew well but a goodly proportion have succumbed to something (the "stem" section has split and there are reddish marks - is this rust?).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

It does make me angry when you spend a considerable amount on tools expecting good quality & a longer life & they do not live up to the expectation. I buy cheap because of the amount of theft as well, but I was given a Wolf Blass handle & hoe for a gift a couple of years back and I have bought some of their other attachments & have been exceedingly pleased with them although I did have my doubts with the interchangeable handle holding up but it has. These have a special hiding spot on the allotment as unfortunately being red is easily spotted. They are hidden behind a false back in the compost bin down near the hedgerow.

The other item that irks me with buying expensive & getting rubbish is cookware, but best not start ranting! :)
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

In Shallot Mans neck of the woods today...at my wonderful Uncle's funeral in Basildon....all went as well as it could have done, and you can't ask for more than that.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Stephen, about your leeks: I have tried many varieties over the years but I always come back to Musselburgh (plus one of the earlier varieties like King Richard) which seem to be able to stand any amount of damp and cold weather. The red marks you see will most likely be rust which has been more prevalent in recent years. Luckily, it seems only affect the outer green leaves and the eating part of the leek will be fine.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Must say I agree with Monika. Musselburgh do take a bit of beating.
robo
KG Regular

I favour Bulgarian giants but I do revert to musselburgh when I've had trouble terminating Bulgarian giants like I did this spring then I found a use before 2002 date on one packet the joys of ebay
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Must say I agree with Monika. Musselburgh do take a bit of beating.

I find that flattens them out of shape though. :D

Northern Lights & Cairngorm are our two favourite leeks at present. Have been so for last 3 years. Good taste to them & stand well

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
snooky
KG Regular

Bit brassed off with Tesco.Forgot to buy bananas when I did my weekly shop in Morrisons so I popped into the local Tesco Express to buy some.Picked up a "hand" of six and went to pay for them.They now charge 25p for each banana.No more selling by weight.A new policy!!Cost me £1.50 for bananas which in Morrisons would have cost less than a pound.

"Every little helps"..................Tesco!!!!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

Just out of interest I looked at the price of squashes when we were shopping, we have loads having harvested 25 off a plant of Fairy and quite a few off a Hunter Butternut, and thought why did I bother at 99p then realised it said 99p/kilo.
Colin2016
KG Regular

It works the other way bag spuds 29p, cauliflower 29p although they were special offer and doubt they were available in the extra shop.
snooky
KG Regular

IDKWIDG,it was an Express.
My son reckon that it is down to the way that we buy our lunch in these stores;one packet of sandwiches,one piece of fruit and a drink.Some bright spark has spotted this and decided that there was money to be made by charging an individual charge for the piece of fruit.And don't forget us pensioners who buy small amounts as opposed to families.Win win for the supermarket chains.
Colin2016,I realise that there are bargains to be had and I take advantage of them.It was the surprise when the assistant said that the bananas were 25p each.I drew the line when they asked 65p each for"Pink Lady" apples!!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Shallot Man
KG Regular

IDKWIDG wrote:65p an apple? They must come with a free pair of binoculars with every customer because they saw them coming!

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

If you are on Suttons email listing you may have received a email recently announcing their new catalogue.

Part of that email contains a advert for 3 Crimson Crush grafted tomato plants.
Ma Snip ordered these last year and we had a bountiful crop off of them, heavily laden, good tasting beefsteak tomatoes. Much admired by neighbouring plot holders
Felt the plants were rather small when thy first arrived but soon put on some growth and turned out to be well worth the price of £9.99 for 3 grafted plants, although there will be those who feel that's expensive no doubt. They need good strong staking support

Just tried to order for delivery April 2019 but currently restricted

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sometimes you do only get what you pay for, and this seems one of them, Pa Snip.

They probably recognised your name.... :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Had the Oncologist and his team in fits of laughter when I said, "Im not going to go through all the incontinent pants issues, I'm going to rig up a hosepipe and sprinkler system....well I am a gardener"...... :)

A lovely team of people to deal with.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic