Top three veg?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Tony
KG Regular

OK, for dodgy doings on the allotment you've been banished (for life!) to an hitherto undiscovered, uninhabited island...not far from the Isle of Man. (Yes, far-fetched, I know!).

However, so you won't starve, you're allowed to chose three veg seeds (including seed potatoes, onion/garlic sets etc) to take with you.

Which three would you choose....and why?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Potato as you need carbohydrates and I like 'em, probably Rooster as it's quite versatile and keeps well.
Carrots, you need vitamins and again I like them, relatively easy to store, sown in succession will cover a long period. Chantennay type are tasty and reliable grower.
Last ones tough, I think Onions, healthy food, adds taste to everything, though Tomatoes are also the same.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Seed potato Winston. Although classed as a first early we've always found them to have a long harvesting season and versatile in terms of cooking suitability.

Leeks, Northern Lights. Bit of leaf colour, excellent taste, stand well.

Parsnip, Pinnacle Excellent taste and long standing in ground over winter

Have deliberately chosen crops that will hopefully continue to stand well.

This previosly undiscovered island stands a very good chance of having been formed from volanic activity, now defunct. I have therefore laid claim to the supply of volanic ash from the pit that lies to the north west of the island for use as fertiliser

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good afternoon Tony.

For me it would be,
Potato, kestrel
Carrot, Autumn King,
And for a pure luxury, Runner Bean, Enora.
I have chosen these because, they go very well with Venison and the Island has a good Deer population. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Gday tone this island is just below the isle of man even the roos here have three legs it's dry with fresh water springs and very sunny
I would plant Bulgarian giant leeks ,they grow big and taste great grow well in a warm climate
Charlotte potatoes , you can do any thing with these even fire them from my catapult at passing game
Tomatoes would be legend real nice taste and grow large they go well with barbecued roo
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:I would plant Bulgarian giant leeks ,they grow big and taste great grow well in a warm climate
Charlotte potatoes , you can do any thing with these even fire them from my catapult at passing game
Tomatoes would be legend real nice taste and grow large they go well with barbecued roo

I think you will find the giant leeks are Dutch, but they are easily stopped by inserting Charlotte in the dyke walls

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

I'd have Charlotte potatoes - love that new potato texture. Carrots - like to eat them raw and cooked so I'd have a bit of variety there and I'd also have butternut squash seeds. Love the flavour of the flesh and I'd also eat the roasted seeds as a snack. I would have had the foresight to have smuggled in a pot of crunchy sea salt (or is that cheating?)
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

For me, it would be:
Potatoes Pink Gypsy (tasty, long keeper and looks pretty)
Red-leaved sorrel (Vitamin C and all that and is perennial)
Peas Hurst Greenshaft (for eating raw and cooking)

And, Diane, presumably you could let some sea water evaporate for the "crunchy sea salt"?
Geoff
KG Regular

Well if you are going to be stuck there for while you'll need a balanced diet of things you can grow again from saved seeds (or tubers) so it's got to potatoes and runner beans (though broad beans might have more food value) but what else?
How about a giant variety of pumpkin so you can grow your own boat like the man on the Ouse?
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm? Interesting question!

Think some garlic then I could eat some of the island vegetation with a bit of punch, & could use it's antiseptic properties to treat any wounds.
Then something quick, don't want to die waiting for the crop to be ready so maybe some mixed salad, micro greens to go with the fish diet, then proper salad leaves to go with the fish diet, then just a salad as quite sick of fish!
Then maybe peas to eat fresh then dry for boiling up with the local vegetation (hopefully some wild herbs) & serve with the fish or mix with it to make patties - that will be Xmas dinner sorted!

Sounds great! Just got to learn how to catch the fish! ;)
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Should've just said The Calf of Man. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's difficult to choose only three Tony. I would grow Charlotte potatoes as they taste lovely when new but grow quite large if you leave them in longer. Leeks would be useful as they stand in good condition for ages and then it's a toss up between carrots which should do well in sandy soil, or climbing French beans which are usually prolific croppers. So I'll opt for the carrots. Beta iii are a good size, keep well and have an excellent carroty flavour - from Real Seeds (high in beta carotene)

Like Westi says we would have to hone our hunting and foraging skills to get a balanced diet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic