I Know We Will...............................

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

100 years ago yesterday and years before this was happening.
100 years ago today and tomorrow this was happening
On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month PLEASE remember them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM
Last edited by Pa Snip on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Having a son in the armed forces has truly brought home the debt we owe our members of all the services.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Has anybody found a list of the beacons that are going to be lit at 7pm? If it is a fine evening I may go up high and see how many I can spot, saw quite a few for the Queen's do.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Has anybody found a list of the beacons that are going to be lit at 7pm? If it is a fine evening I may go up high and see how many I can spot, saw quite a few for the Queen's do.

Seems to be a National Trust thing,

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lists/ ... -lightings

There is also suggestions of people lighting beacons at home

I typed Armistice Day Beacons into Bing search engine

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

A lot of churches likely to be ringing bells as they did to announce peace on 11th November 1918. Some at 09:30, many at 12:30 others at 7:30pm

Pa Snip
KG Regular

According to the Royal Naval Association website
The Beacons will symbolise the 'light of hope' that emerged from the darkness of war. You will be pleased to know that to date more than 800 councils, communities and other organisations have already confirmed their involvement by lighting WWI Beacons of Light that evening.

Elsewhere the figure of up to 1200 has been mentioned I believe

Geoff
KG Regular

I found the NT stuff and mention of 1200 but nobody seems to be running a list. We have a local one and bell ringing.
Primrose
KG Regular

Our village will be lighting a beacon by our war memorial and it was lovely to drive down our High Street this morning and see every lamppost adorned with a poppy listing the name of somebody from the village who died in the First World War.
I think we also need to be grateful for all the Royal British Legion volunteers who perform these acts so that the national can be reminded.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic