New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

When you and I were young, Primrose, commercial flocks were usually based on White Leghorns, which lay white-shelled eggs, and Rhode Island Reds, which lay brown-shelled eggs. These days the vast majority commercial flocks are ISA Brown (or similar) and these are hybrids derived from Rhode Island Reds - hence the preponderance of brown-shelled eggs on the market.

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

Around forty years ago I had a few chickens in our back garden as pets for our daughters we had one white leghorn a couple of Rhode island reds and a lovely little silky bantum one sat on an egg which hatched to this day I don't know how it got fertilized we did not have a male but the chick grew into a cock bantum and what a nasty hugger he was
Westi
KG Regular

I think the timing is right for different coloured eggs. Seen them pop up on the foodie shows (using proclaiming they taste better), but the minute anything becomes trendy if you can get in quick you can turn a hobby into a business even if you start on a small scale.

Good luck Alan, remember us before you ask your PA to answer on the forum for you! :) :)
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Early run across to Ynys Môn (=Anglesey) this morning to pick up son's heart's desire. A breeding trio of Welsh Harlequin ducks. They were originally bred as a sport from Khaki Campbells in 1949 in Criccieth, which is only four miles from here. A truly local breed. Here they are just arrived home. Drake Arthur, ducks Gwenfrewi and Blodeuwedd (all names from Welsh legend!). The white one is a young Muscovy which we brought home because she looked lonely. She's Tatiana, despite the fact that Muscovies have no connection to Moscow at all, having originated in Central and South America, and they're more related to geese than ducks!

IMG_1763.JPG
IMG_1763.JPG (3.95 MiB) Viewed 3914 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

Some pictures of how the poultry enterprise is developing. Looks like a lot less grass cutting this year :)

IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG (4.04 MiB) Viewed 3914 times
Attachments
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG (4.47 MiB) Viewed 3914 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lovely to see the set up you have, Alan, quite a cottage industry....How many different types are you up to now?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Lovely to see the set up you have, Alan, quite a cottage industry....How many different types are you up to now?

Duck breeds - four
Chicken breeds - about ten or a dozen
Diane
KG Regular

Wow - that's an amazing set up - so much room and all that healthy green grass. Your eggs will have beautiful yolks.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Stephen
KG Regular

That is a very smart set-up Alan. I hope you do well from it.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Right on cue, we now have two serious broodies, one Barred Plymouth Rock and one Black Rock. By serious I mean you steer clear of them unless you want to be growled at and and pecked! If the new broody coops arrive as planned on Monday they will each be sitting a clutch of ten to a dozen eggs. And, if I'm lucky, I won't be nursing pecked hands :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

And i,m going green with envy thinking of all that lovely poultry manure !!
Good luck with your new ventures.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Have you ever kept Geese, Alan?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Have you ever kept Geese, Alan?

Only in the fridge and in the oven :)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Alan . i believe our American cousins prefer white shelled eggs.
Diane
KG Regular

Love a good broody hen Not to be messed with. :evil:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic