New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:We gave our neighbour some eggs with blue shells, I convinced her that when she cracked them open the yolks
would be blue

My ultimate challenge would be to get some Cayuga ducks and try persuading people to buy the black eggs :roll:

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I think some would react negatively in the same way as some do for black tomatoes or purple spuds/carrots

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The black eggs look rather special. What colour do you think the yolks will be Pa?
alan refail
KG Regular

A bit of a slow start at selling the eggs, but things have really hotted up now. Over the past two weekends we have sold dozens, duck eggs included for the connoisseurs. The ladies of the village were busy baking for Christmas and the word seems to have got around that this is the place to come. Though we are getting over 100 eggs a week, my son even had to take some straight from the nest boxes to make up an order!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds as if there will be some good produce baked this year then Alan, let's hope they return to purchase more...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Building up the flock again! Son and grandson just back from Welshpool with five Cream Legbars - four hens and a cock. Now he's talking about breeding them later in the year. I hope our growing band of regular customers will take to the blue eggs. The birds are eight months old so we should have eggs from them starting tomorrow morning.
robo
KG Regular

I have three chickens that lay blue eggs they are west Sussex crossed with araucana (I think that spelling isn't far off) the eggs are no different from the white or brown eggs I get off the others but great novelty value everyone is after them
Pa Snip
KG Regular

We gave some blue eggs to a neighbour, I had her convinced the yolks would be blue

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
alan refail
KG Regular

Some new additions. Exchequer Leghorns, Gennaro and his three hens.

IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG (3.26 MiB) Viewed 4070 times

IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG (5.05 MiB) Viewed 4070 times
alan refail
KG Regular

...and some other recent arrivals. Cream Legbar, Gwilym and some of his four hens.
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 4070 times
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG (3.22 MiB) Viewed 4070 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lovely looking birds, Alan.....just a quick question though, do you keep the different types seperate?

alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Lovely looking birds, Alan.....just a quick question though, do you keep the different types seperate?

The Cream Legbars and the Leghorns are both separate. my son is intending to breed them so is busy building separate pens. He'll be getting a job next building Trump's ruddy wall. The rest of the birds have the remainder of the field.

IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG (5.33 MiB) Viewed 4066 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was just wondering if the Cockerels tend to end up fighting, Alan.

alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I was just wondering if the Cockerels tend to end up fighting, Alan.

They would if they could, which is why they're apart.
They have more important things to do :wink: so best not to waste time scrapping!
Diane
KG Regular

Love the pics of your poultry - wonderful condition. I miss having hens at the bottom of the garden so enjoy looking at other folk's flocks. One of the breeds I used to have was Transylvanian naked necks. They were great layers, good immune system and very friendly (well, mine were).
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic