New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

They are just adorable at that stage arn,t they?

My only experience with hatching eggs is as a child during the immediate post war years when I surreptitiously exchanged some of my mum's clothes from her wardrobe for a couple of yellow chicks from the Rag and Bone man outside my primary school. One died and the other grew up to be a fierce black cockerill who took control of the garden and terrorised us all to the point where we didn,t dare go outside for fear of being attacked. He eventually ended up in a neighbour's casserole pot!
alan refail
KG Regular

What a difference a couple of weeks make!
All fourteen growing fast.

IMG_1825.JPG
IMG_1825.JPG (3 MiB) Viewed 4391 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

Perfect weather for the here alan this is our fourth day of rain
alan refail
KG Regular

And here are we with a forecast of two and a half days of heavy rain and in the event hardly any! Pretty wet further east though. It pays to live on the peninsula.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

They certainly are lovely looking Ducklings, Alan.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Alan, they are so cute! Beautiful to see your pics!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Already clearly ducks.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

The Harlequins are now just three weeks old and are now out on the grass in the field. I had hoped for a better shot, but they are lively as anything, move all together in a gang of fourteen. They're feathering up rapidly and looking more "ducky" every day.
Another hatch is due in a week from now - Rouens and Rouen x White Campbell.
We keep busy :wink:

IMG_1827.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 4277 times
Westi
KG Regular

Looking great Alan!
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Another two weeks and at five weeks old the Welsh Harlequins have a large run, a plum tree for shade and lots of grass. These birds don't half grow - even quicker than courgettes!
We still have all fourteen, but a trio (drake and two ducks) are booked to go to a local farm soon.
IMG_1828.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG (4.55 MiB) Viewed 4141 times
IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1829.JPG (5.14 MiB) Viewed 4141 times
alan refail
KG Regular

At just over none weeks old the young Exchequer Leghorns and Cream Legbars are in with their respective parents, who are not best pleased to see them, but tolerate them!

IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG (4.04 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG (4.05 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG (4.16 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
Primrose
KG Regular

It must be really fun watching grow up through their juvenile stages. I guess they grow so quickly that every day there is a change of some kind to note.
Are you up to full capacity now ?
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:It must be really fun watching grow up through their juvenile stages. I guess they grow so quickly that every day there is a change of some kind to note.
Are you up to full capacity now ?
They're hard to keep up with, especially the ducks! Fortunately my son is chief bird man :wink:
We have another hatch of nine ducklings from 6 days ago, five new chicks from a couple of broodies we obliged by letting them sit a few eggs. And the bird man is talking of another hatch of chicks in the incubator, probably including Dorkings, if he gets some hatching eggs.
I hope he does, as Dorkings are a breed with an ancestry in this country probably going back to the Romans! They have five toes instead of the usual four.

Geoff
KG Regular

Fine looking birds, I assume you didn't need planning permission for the housing estate that's grown up.
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Fine looking birds, I assume you didn't need planning permission for the housing estate that's grown up.

That's the benefit of having an acre of agricultural land :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic