New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Fabulous pictures, Alan.....and the flock increases.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

They grow so fast don't they? Very cute at this scruffy stage.
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Westi wrote:They grow so fast don't they? Very cute at this scruffy stage.

Scruffy is what I call them affectionately as long as they're replacing their fluff with final feathering.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

If you're sick of chick pics, I think I will be posting some duckling pics by the end of the week!
The Welsh Harlequin eggs are due to hatch in three days and my son tells me he can hear "cheeping" from the 17 eggs in the incubator. A promising sign, so fingers crossed for a good hatch.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And we will look forward to seeing them too.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Alan, you are going to have so many birds, so many eggs or is the plan to sell on the chicks - or is this the start of the Egg Enterprise? I also look forward to seeing the pics of the ducklings - too cute!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I suspect Alan is recreating "Chicken Run"
:lol: :lol:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Alan. It,s half term week. Perhaps you should open up your hen and duck area for a kids petting or watching area. You'd probably be inundated with mums wanting to buy your eggs and a good opportunity to get them to try duck eggs.
alan refail
KG Regular

Things are moving now. Four of the ducklings hatched so far and drying off in the incubator. Looking very active and lively. There should be more tomorrow. Then it will be off to the brooder. Happy day!
alan refail
KG Regular

Can't resist posting this. Many more hatched overnight. Thirteen very active ducklings so far.
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG (3.43 MiB) Viewed 3693 times
robo
KG Regular

I love duck eggs but our council rules won't allow us to keep them on the plot , you are doing well alan
retropants
KG Regular

I'm fascinated watching the progress! great pics Alan.
alan refail
KG Regular

There are now 14 and already they're out of the incubator and in the brooder running and jumping, eating and drinking like mad things!
alan refail
KG Regular

Here they are in the brooder. Sorry about the colour, but at the moment they are under the infra-red lamp. Later they will be under the heated brooder (the yellow thing on the right).
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 3666 times
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG (2.59 MiB) Viewed 3666 times
Westi
KG Regular

Adorable Alan!

No tutting now everyone - but Alan, do the ducklings also imprint on the first thing they see like a chicken? When I did my school zoology class we all took a hen's egg home to hatch. It was amazing when we walked into class along the corridor - all these big feet & these wee yellow fluff balls all knew which were theirs & well good at dodging as well. As I recall they lost that bond quite quickly & went back to the guy that gave the school the eggs eventually.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic