New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Thanks to my son who has moved here with me the poultry is back above three dozen for the first time in years. He very soon took to buying and looking after the new birds. At last I can eat duck eggs again. Here are two of the best additions. Dylan the drake with his four Rouen and three White Campbell ducks and the two Lakenfelder hens he found by lucky chance when buying ducks. I understand they are a very rare bird indeed. We also have Barred Plymouth Rocks, Bluebells, White Araucanas, Lohmann Browns, Blackrocks, Light Sussex and Silver Sussex. And I must not forget Gwyndaf the new Welsummer cockerel - great to hear crowing again!

IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG (173.84 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
Attachments
IMG_1735.JPG
IMG_1735.JPG (112.46 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG (147.63 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I bet things things feel like they have come back to life again, Alan....lovely, lovely, pictures.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I bet things things feel like they have come back to life again, Alan.

That's exactly how it feels, OH :D
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
vivienz
KG Regular

Lovely looking birds.

To my shame, I've never knowingly eaten duck eggs. Not due to any aversions but I have simply never got around to it. I've read descriptions that they are like chicken eggs but more so, but never really understood what this means. How would you sum up the difference between them, Alan?
alan refail
KG Regular

You took the words out of my mouth, Vivienz: "they are like chicken eggs but more so"! White slightly more solid and yolk more creamy.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm glad you asked that vivienz - exactly what was going through my mind as I looked at the pics.

Alan, this must be indeed be helping you get back on track. Your son is doing well & finding rare stock as well - you must feel so much more motivated & optimistic! Glad you are back & posting these great pictures.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Lovely photos and it must be delightful to have all these interesting new breeds.
I too am embarrassed to admit I,ve never eaten a duck's egg. Somehow I imagine they might have a stronger "eggy" flavour which i might not like so I await being corrected.

Just as a matter of curiosity since ai,ve never kept chickens, what time does your cockerel start crowing, and does this vary depending on what time dawn arrives? You must forgive me for being an ignorant "semi townie" !
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: What time does your cockerel start crowing, and does this vary depending on what time dawn arrives?

About an hour or an hour and a half before first light. Maybe earlier but I'm asleep and fairly deaf!
alan refail
KG Regular

Great start to the week - four duck eggs this morning! First it was one a day, then two for a while, then three - and now four. Soon all seven will be laying. Happy days.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

vivienz wrote:Lovely looking birds.

To my shame, I've never knowingly eaten duck eggs. Not due to any aversions but I have simply never got around to it. I've read descriptions that they are like chicken eggs but more so, but never really understood what this means. How would you sum up the difference between them, Alan?

In my opinion they taste a touch stronger.
Primrose
KG Regular

New ducks are obviously happy Alan. As you say, exciting times!
When are you going into business?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Not aware that I've eaten duck eggs either, not a huge eater of eggs except in the wife's fine baking.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Are you able to sell them locally, Alan, if you do get a build up? Maybe at your fine butchers, if you still use it, that is!!!!

alan refail
KG Regular

We do sell them OH. To neighbours and friends and at the door. We can't sell through shops as we are not a registered packing station!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's good that you have a small outlet for them..... keep forgetting about rules and regulations!!!! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic