New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

This post has made me to decide to try some duck eggs - from the milkman I might add! Delivery Saturday - I will post from a totally virgin duck egg taster perspective when I get the order. That might be the challenge though as their web site has been mucking around for about 6 weeks! Fingers crossed!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

A bit too friendly old farmer used to occasionally give me a box of duck eggs when I did a rural post round.they were quite rich and very nice. He was harmless enough but I made sure there was a gate between us :)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They are lovely birds Alan. The Lakenfelder are exactly the same shape as my Vorwerks with the black head and tail but mine are ginger not white.
I've had lots of different breeds over the years from flighty Fresians to giant Buff Orpington, and one of my favourites was a Lavender Araucana that laid greenish blue eggs. The Cream Legbar also was a good layer of blue eggs.
I've stopped buying expensive pure breeds now and my latest ones are Speckledies and Bluebells. They were point of lay a couple of months ago but are laying every day at the moment. I've still got a Black Rock but it's getting on a bit.
Toptaff
KG Regular

Duck eggs are fantastic in cake making!
robo
KG Regular

I like duck eggs I've never missed an opportunity when I've seen them for sale, some while ago we used to have a chalet on a park just outside Caernarfon we would weekend there at least twice a month, I seen a sign on the gate of a small holding about three miles away " duck eggs for sale " every time we went down to the site I would drop my wife and kids off and go for the eggs, each time I got told they are not laying yet next visit I would try again with the same reply this went on for nearly three years untill I went one day and got told we don't have any ducks , my reply was not very friendly but started of with " take your bloody sign of the gate then"
alan refail
KG Regular

UPDATE

The two Lachenfelders have proved to be true flying hens, as the are always reported as being. By "flying" I don't mean the assisted jumping, falling and running which most hens use their wings for, but real flight. They decide where they're going to go, take off, gain height and fly in a straight line to where they want to go. Then they make a perfectly controlled landing by flapping the wings at a more vertical angle like any other large bird.
All seven of the ducks are now in lay - meals are duck egg heaven!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

An interesting update, Alan, and something else I have learned......... Glad your Ducks are performing well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Duck eggs had been proving hard to sell. We have been enjoying them almost to the exclusion of hen eggs. Then this morning, out of the blue, a Thai lady from Porthmadog turned up for a dozen eggs, didn't want hen eggs and went away pleased with a dozen of our finest duck eggs. "Diolch yn fawr, I will see you again for more" she said. I should have learned some Thai so I could have replied to her thanks with ไม่เป็นไร (mâi bpen rai).
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Some things are meant to be, Alan, some things are meant to be....

Westi
KG Regular

Handy indeed! If she tells people she knows you could soon have to practice your Thai for real!;)
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Update. Onward, ever onward.
My son and grandson popped out this morning and returned with three beautiful young Lavender Wyandottes from a local breeder and shower they discovered in Nefyn.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That sounds good, Alan but, me being me, was thinking bathroom shower before I realized, shower....silly me... :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Sounds as if you're building up nice little collection again. Hope the local foxes haven,t picked up the news yet!
Last edited by Primrose on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan refail
KG Regular

Two of the three new Lavender Wyandottes

SAM_8214.JPG
SAM_8214.JPG (239.01 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
Last edited by alan refail on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan refail
KG Regular

Gwyndaf - cock of the flock!

SAM_7352.JPG
SAM_7352.JPG (260.13 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Last edited by alan refail on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic