Sad horse chestnuts

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

Autumn is early this year, but more so for the poor horse chestnut trees. I've been shuttling from one end of Dorset to the other most days since the start of the summer working on our house build, and I usually love seeing the trees turn to their autumn colours. Vitually all the horse chestnut trees I see on my journey, though, have already lost most of their dead, brown leaves to leaf miner moth, long before the conkers were ripe. Such a sad sight to see.
Primrose
KG Regular

Not only in Dorset Vivienne. The horse chestnut trees in our local,park started losing all their leaves very early during the heatwave this year and they hardly bore any cookers. Usually the ground is covered in them. Sadly it seems that once these big trees get attacked there is little that can be done.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We still have a lot of greenery up here, had a conversation in the car about it on the way back from Perth.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

The horse chestnuts certainly seem to be suffering here too. But there is plenty of beech mast about which should be could for bramblings when they arrive.
Primrose
KG Regular

Most, of the beech mast here that I,ve checked out seems to be totally empty, another result of the dry summer I imagine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic