Getting excited

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

It's December and it will soon be...…………………………………………..Onion seed planting time(is there something else happening this month?)
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Diane
KG Regular

[attachment=0]bahHumbugGrinch.gif[/attachment]

I'm about to plant out some garlic cloves...that's my high point of this month.
Attachments
bahHumbugGrinch.gif
bahHumbugGrinch.gif (33.23 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I will be getting sore fingers, from chopping kindling and missing the wood.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Diane
KG Regular

I must remember to order Rapini next year. Thank you for the reminder.
Westi
KG Regular

Yes! Please post a pic IDKWIDG!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

How big do they grow? The leaves look very fine & soft - very edible I suspect. Just thinking would wilt down quick in a stir fry!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Lovely pics - I've just placed an order for Rapini seeds and also a climbing courgette called Shooting Star. I've got a spare obelisk in the garden and thought I'd use that in the raised bed. Can't wait for spring now.
robo
KG Regular

Am I right in thinking these are a type of broccoli
Geoff
KG Regular

They are often known as Broccoli Raab. I tried them quite a while ago and I think I still have some old seeds. I've failed to remember why I didn't sow them a second year, might be turn your back and they are past their best.
robo
KG Regular

I may give them ago this next year ,I do like broccoli this year has been especially good for it
Westi
KG Regular

You've won me over ID, your descriptions of taste indeed sound good. I like plants that are multipurpose & the mustard taste is a winner for me. (Sorry about your new nickname, but saves me checking letters every time)! :)

I'm getting a wee bit excited as well, 1st draft of the planting plan is done, found a new seed supplier (well new to me) that has some interesting things. Pennard Plants! Sells itself as a heritage seed place but it has unusual & new stuff as well - reasonably priced too. Got my eye on some unusual squash, a passionfruit plant, some peanuts (although Lidls had some raw ones last week which I bought & are probably the same). Site doesn't have photos just drawings which you would have to appreciate art to really think they meet the description of the plants. Will order on the weekend as still going through the tomatoes!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Another brassica which is very useful is the tenderstem 'Inspiration' (I got mine from DT Brown). It grows a central head but, when removed, it then forms lots of sideshoots which are all fully edible, not just the tops.

On "Getting excited": I now realise what I am really going to miss on giving up the allotment is the planning and choosing vegetable varieties when the spring seed catalogues come out! We will still be growing some vegetables but far, far fewer than before.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic