Autumn bits and bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

we picked a LOT of figs yesterday, a LOT! we have never managed to get any before now. It's odd, all the things we've never had a harvest of before have supplied a mountain this , our last year there. Cherries, Grapes, Pears and figs. The grapes have always succumed to mildew before, but we have had probably a whole dustbin full over the last few weeks. My mother has been juising them, it is absolutely delcicious. What should I do with the figs? I 've cooked about 2 kg to make fig rolls, but don't like them fresh, thay just smell and taste green to me.
It's alomost like these plants are saying a lovely bountiful goodbye to us, but I suspect it has more to do with the very hot dry summer! We've been taking tools home too Monika, it's going to be strange and sad to say farewell.
vivienz
KG Regular

Green figs poached in a light syrup are wonderful on their own, even better with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. I do envy you!
Stephen
KG Regular

Monika, what a grown-up way to hand over! Well done.
Passing on tools is particularly generous.

As others have said, usually the plots get abandoned, so every new plot-holder gets their enthusiasm knocked out of them immediately as they tackle what looks like a hayfield.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Glorious day here. Just checked the solitary pepper plant I planted out in a south facing border which is now under a water bottle cloche. It has one four inch very green pepper on it. My potted plants on the patio in compost have given me on average about Four large ripe peppers per plant with more still on them to ripen now I've brought them indoors.
Stephen
KG Regular

Fabulously warm in bright sunshine here in London. Such a shame I am working and not on the allotment.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's been a lovely sunny warm day here too even with a strong wind. I had planted a row of tubs with Helichrysum quite late in the season, and they are fully open today. They were covered in Red Admiral butterflies this afternoon. Beautiful.
Westi
KG Regular

I've got tomorrow off & heading to lottie as weather is looking fine! It will be weeding until I get my head around some strange comings & goings at work! The only place that allows me that privilege - don't get me wrong I love my job but like all jobs it goes pear shaped at times & I generally get an epiphany moment of clarity with my hands in the soil! Even if it doesn't come with bangs & whistles I will have more clarity without ruddy phones & bleeps interrupting!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

That chap on the radio was right "The answer lies in the soil". :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Stephen
KG Regular

I really want to be out on the plot...
Monika
KG Regular

I dug the whole of our vegetable plot at home today - always very satisfying.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

When we get weather like this, it's makes my job as a gardener, all the more fantastic.
Hope this hasn't made you feel worse, Stephen.....
Well done Monika, is that your normal plot at home, or have you extented it at all?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

It's our usual plot at home, OH, which is about 10' by 12'. We were contemplating extending it, but the other areas are shadier, so we will probably restrict ourselves to growing lots more things in large pots which we can move about. And we will concentrate on vegetables which are so much better freshly picked than bought. I have always loved growing garlic and shallots (and will be planting some soon because I had already ordered them), but I realise that they are easily bought any time of the year, so it will be mostly green stuff of all sorts. A new challenge .....
Stephen
KG Regular

Monika
When I started on my 'lottie I was concerned about the shade. There are magnificent full grown trees right on the southern edge which is also the higher end of the slope. But that end is great for gooseberries, currants and rhubarb. Also I grow Jerusalem artichokes there.
I think the subject of what to grow in less sunny patches (I get summer afternoon and evening sunshine) is not given sufficient attention.
Primrose
KG Regular

Monika. Do you have a front garden, some of which could be sneakilyncinverted into an extra growing area if yiu think yiu might be frustrated by lack,of space?
I grow redcurrants, blackcurrant, and gooseberries in my front borders instead of more decorative shrubs, as well as strawberry plants t dot a few flowers in between and they really don't look out of place and have enabled me to expand my range of edibles grown.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My main vegetable growing areas are in the front garden with ornamental strips that look nice from the house because that is the largest flat area. The rest is sloping and terraced so not easy to cultivate. I don't know why everyone doesn't grow whatever they like in the front garden anyway vegetables can be as aesthetically pleasing as other plants, set out in pottager style if you feel like a bit of informal design.
Locked Previous topicNext topic