Autumn bits and bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

I think you have a nasty problem there

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitar ... weevil.php
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose, it is difficult to gauge the size of those grubs but to me they look as if they may be too big to be vine weevil.

My money is on Chafer Grubs or maybe even Stag Beetle.

By the way, when I put money on something I usually lose it.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Stag Beetles tend to lay eggs/have grubs inside rotten wood, so perhaps not those, they are in decline because we keep our woodlands too tidy these days.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

The actual owner of this vehicle will also be very unhappy. Lucky there Peter, it missed your vehicles - maybe the police will be luckier than normal & find they have links to other things that will get them a proper sentence. Maybe time to see if that real thick stemmed bamboo they build houses from in the tropics will grow in the UK! ;)
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I would be absolutely MORTIFIED if they turned out to be stag beetle grubs as I left them on the bird table and ai think they are lovely creatures and would,t willingly have done anything to destroy them. However as tiger burnie has said, they tend to breed in rotten wood rather than compost heaps to the best of my knowledge. We used to have a breeding colony near here in a footpath with decaying logs u to, the council one day came along and had a "clear up" and most of their habitat was destroyed.

They were about an inch long and their bodies were the thickness of those big brown slugs which are very common.
Geoff
KG Regular

At that size Pa Snip's chafers seem possible, did the legs show?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=487 - mentions compost heaps
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes they did seem to have very short little legs which enabled them to "shuffle" and move very slowly.
Gerry
KG Regular

Primrose, My money is on chafer grubs. However my money usualy goes the same way as Pa's.
alan refail
KG Regular

My money's on chafer grubs.
A whole lot more in this picture.

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/ch ... hcare.html
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes Alan they did look very much like this . Anyway they all disappeared from the bird table. Suspect they're now trining the stomach of some magpies ! Just wish aI could get rid or big brown slugs when I out them on the bird table. Nobody seems to want to touch them !
Westi
KG Regular

First frost down at lottie today, very light & dahlias not worried by it, but to be sure after checking my phone weather I took anything that was too small but edible or would ripen at home. I've got loads of tomatoes, small courgettes, cucumbers & green peppers, runner beans, french beans, rocket & salad. Still loads of salad & cut & come which has been tucked in safely so will see how they fare.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

There were only 30 kg on the small Bramley the other day but it probably means the two trees had over 100 kg on them, found somebody this week who hadn't got any but unfortunately they don't use many. Picked my final tree today, 51 kg of Granny Smith, at least they keep. That tree might have paid for itself, it was a £1 supermarket rescue a few years ago.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've only got half a tree of Newton Wonder to pick but there are still rather a lot. They keep well too fortunately. At least it's biennial bearing so should have a rest next year. The cellar smells lovely with the scent of ripe fruit. I might make another batch of cider to use a few up. I've done some apple juice from the Early Worcesters that don't keep and am planning on making an apple cake and apple scones tomorrow so they are gradually being used up. Will have to have another trip round the neighbours to distribute a few. It's certainly been a lovely bountiful year. I've even got a few piles of windfalls for the blackbirds etc.
Geoff
KG Regular

It'll be a shame if we get the predicted frosts in the next few days, the nasturtiums are putting on a cheerful late show.

IMG_4144_R.jpg
IMG_4144_R.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5583 times

The autumn colours are developing nicely down the valley (especially the neighbouring docks I have to put up with!)

Panorama.jpg
Panorama.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5583 times
Westi
KG Regular

Lovely autumn colours in the trees Geoff. I expect I saw the last of my dahlias yesterday & I had nasturtium seedlings Just starting to flower. I love walking down the path to my plot as all the dahlias & roses in the front garden look so cheery & colourful, makes me happy before I even get to the plot. I really must get some bulbs in there to have more colour at other times of the year, I have some inherited daffodils but they are set back on lottie 2 as we park in front of that allotment so you can't see them until you are there. Might have to dig them up for a start & put them outside lottie 1 for a start.
Westi
Locked Previous topicNext topic