Pa Snip Enterprise visits Agricultural Show

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

In my opinion my entries for tomorrow don't stand a hope in hells chance, but then everyone who enters allotment produce has had the same trials and tribulations to contend with this year. My feeling is the best results will be shown by those who have entered produce grown in the greenhouse and the back garden

Why do we bother, purely to support a small local show that would simply die out if people didn't.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Mouse2
KG Regular

I agree 100%, Monica, and already have some entries lined up that are far from perfect - in fact, I am not sure yet if any of my huge number of vegetable/ flower entries will be up to scratch this year. (I thing I am probably the most prolific entrant in our show, putting in a lot of veg, crafts, preserves and baking, plus a few flowers)
However, I will be putting them in, hoping that more people are encouraged to enter in the future because of the "I could do better than that!" factor.

Actually, it's not quite true that everything will be entered - I picked one of my three melons yesterday (that's the total number that formed on my two outdoor plants!) in preparation for the show, to find a big slug hole in its base. That one was definitely out of the game, but I cut it open and found to my delight that it was ripe, so we ate it and it was delicious - my first ever edible melon! :D
Its replacement in the show is in perfect condition apart from one important thing - it is not ripe. I shall enter it anyway as part of a tray of mixed fruit and veg, most of which will be less than perfect.

All that said, I do set out to win if I possibly can, but in the four years that our show has been running, I have only managed to win the vegetable section once, and because it is so difficult and unpredictable, that is the one I would most love to win again - even more than the overall show winner cup!
robo
KG Regular

I've just peeled the biggest potato I've ever grown it was just on one ounce under two pounds when peeled unfortunately the centre was rotten not a lot just about an inch diameter still enough to make chips for three
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:I've just peeled the biggest potato I've ever grown it was just on one ounce under two pounds when peeled unfortunately the centre was rotten not a lot just about an inch diameter still enough to make chips for three

Hollow Heart perhaps, stinks something rotten when you open it up.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

In yesterdays small local show I entered 19 horticultural & craft classes, and was placed from 1st to 3rd in 11 of them

Nothing brilliant but a damn sight better than I expected to do given the personal circumstances I have had to battle this season .

Only a small number of entries in the show overall in the veg section, it is just a small show, but more than the organisers were expecting given the weather experienced this year.

Won a small cup for best pictorial photographic print in show in the "Moving Subject" category. That's 3 years on the trot I've won that one, with different pictures of course :roll: :lol: .
Wish I had such consistency with the veg entries :lol:

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Pa Snip, as much for getting the entries in, with what you have to contend with, but also for winning what you did.....of course, if I had entered, you would have one a lot less..... :) :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:.of course, if I had entered, you would have one a lot less..... :) :)

Oh that is a given that goes without saying :lol: It is why we have always dismissed moving to Bedfordshire, just couldn't compete in the veg show :D

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And won would have been a lot better spelling than "one"..... thank you for not pulling me up on it!

I do love our banter... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I have a pumpkin growing on the plot ,it's the first time I've grown them , I have one which is big it's over two feet across and stands just as high , I've thought of a way of getting it to my car "I think ", but what I do with it when I get it home I think at the moment it will just about fit through the front door but we're I can store it is another problem,then when I cut into it what can I do with it all , I did not set off to grow one this big the others are more normal size,sorry pa snip I should have put this on a different thread
Mouse2
KG Regular

Blilmy, Robo, that' s impressive!

Well done, Pa Snip. You must have put in the work on your plot, despite everything else, in order to do so well :)
Monika
KG Regular

Well done, Pa Snip! That's an impressive lot of win. Presumably, like in our village show, there were no cash prizes? We do get cash and/or cups for things like "most points in the vegetable section", "most points in the flower section", "best exhibit in the handicraft section" etc etc.

Strangely, the number of entries to our show were apparently up a great deal on last year and almost reached the highest number ever.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well done Pa, both for the vegetable entries and for the fact that this was achieved in the face of increasingly difficult health issues. I think this summer's hot weather will have both encouraged and discouraged new vegetable growers. Better results will have been achieved for some crops but it will undoubtedly have discouraged those who have been unable or unwilling to stick with the discipline of regular watering regimes.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Well done, Pa Snip! That's an impressive lot of win. Presumably, like in our village show, there were no cash prizes? We do get cash and/or cups for things like "most points in the vegetable section", "most points in the flower section", "best exhibit in the handicraft section" etc etc.

Strangely, the number of entries to our show were apparently up a great deal on last year and almost reached the highest number ever.

Thanks Monika
Sounds like both run on similar lines. We have place cards but no cash. There are cups & shields exactly as you outline

Pa Snip
KG Regular

The picture which won first place in "A Moving Subject" category and a small cup for the the best pictorial print in show
DSC_4386e2.png
DSC_4386e2.png (890.48 KiB) Viewed 3384 times

Westi
KG Regular

Ho robo!

At some point you will have to cut it but would be better to store if possible to really appreciate it in the colder months. When you cut it & take the slice the size you want place clingfilm directly onto the cut flesh. This first slice you cut off as it will dry & repeat the process. You can keep the seeds in for a while but at some point you will need to scrape them out & at this point then you should have read enough pumpkin recipes to have a freezer full of soups, scones, curries, pasta sauces etc. They are very adaptable.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic