Late Summer Bit and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

Thankyou OH, it will be odd not living near my folks! Plus they are advancing in years too, so I may well end up nearer them in the future. Thankyou also Westi, however, I'm staying put in Middlesex, the folks are moving to Bridport area, with a lovely veg patch and poly tunnel! I will have to make do with some space I hope to make available at the end of my garden, currently some crumbly hard standing, and home to my rusty old triumph herald. I am procrastinating listing him on car and classic classifieds!
Diane
KG Regular

Welcome to Dorset, Retropants. You'll love it here. :)
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Funny how we don't read the replies properly.....me included. :wink: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Could be worse retropants, you could be moving up here
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Or even worse, next door to me.... :twisted: :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Picked most of my ripe outdoor tomatoes before today's downpour started. Abiut 50% of them are splitting now. This is the first year I can recall itbeing such a major problem. Not a problem for those I plan to process but it does prevent them keeping for so long. The weather suddenly seems to have become very autumnal and I'm glad I got a lot of outdoor jobs done before the weather suddenly turned.
Monika
KG Regular

Just watching the almost full moon rise above the moor - brilliantly clear, so we'll be sitting out tonight in full winter gear, clutching our mugs of hot tea.
We are right under the flight path for planes from Europe over the North Pole to Canada and the US and often see three or four tiny lights at any one time flashing high above us, all going north. I am really tempted to get one of those apps which tell you all about the planes and the flight. It's odd, there we sit in the garden, not a soul walks past, not a car drives past, but above us there are hundreds of people whizzing onwards........
Primrose
KG Regular

Confession Time. I'm a wimp! We normally try to make it until October 1st before putting the central heating on but felt we needed to switch it on for an hour tonight. It did make a difference and my excuse is that we needed to check that our new boiler was working OK !

Meanwhile, despite the rain, I spotted two blackbirds having a go at the grapes today so maybe they don't care whether they're not quite ripe . . I may need to rethink about leaving the green tomatoes on the plants for a while. Will see what tonight's overnight temperature does to them. Looks like more rain forecast here for tomorrow. .

I've been picking ripe tomatoes today. Several of those which weren't split when I picked them have subsequently developed splits now they're laid out on trays.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've had our heating on a couple of times this week too Primrose, no point in putting up with being cold because it's not October yet, even though that is my aim too.

Thanks for the warning about the birds eating your grapes I'd better check mine today. The wasps got them last year.

I'm going to pick the last of the long pointed sweet peppers and Cornu des Andes tomatoes today while they are still in good condition.

I've set my son on cider making to to use up all the apples blown off in the gales. It is a very laborious process to get a gallon of juice.
Primrose
KG Regular

Woke to pouring rain this morning so looks like I left it a little late to pick the remaining green tomatoes. Will check tomorrow's weather forecast and possibly do it then. I think two days of prolonged rainfall will probably have altered the environment and even if we then have sunshine again, possibly very late blight could set in and kill them off.

My rain gauge tells me we've had half an inch of rain during the night.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Any plans we might have had to visit the allotment this weekend have gone out the window.
There's no boats left to hire !! :D I was hoping it would be worth taking a punt at getting there.

Our sweetcorn tasted so good again this year. Can't beat 'Lark', only snag was it was so sweet the wasps took to it and decimated quite a few cobs.
Still very little will be wasted, the chickens can have the damaged cobs

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the Indian Summer rather spoiled us and got us into the mindset where it might continue for ages so we had plenty of time to get the autumn stuff attended to, and two days of solid rain have now thwarted us. I imagine there may be a lot of frustrated gardeners this weekend. It's a pity some of this rain couldn't have come earlier in the summer when it would have done more good.

I bet even the chickens are feeling a bit bedraggled.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear PA Snip, I do have to protest at your jokes, as they are getting worse....but they still make me smile.... :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Dear OH. Don,t protest too much at Pa Snip's jokes. If there's only one place left on the Ark when it sets off he may not let you on board !
Geoff
KG Regular

Haven't got the rain of you folk further South but it was a bit chilly last night (the green line is the dew point).

230918.jpg
230918.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
Locked Previous topicNext topic