Late Summer Bit and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Cutting pallet wood on the circular saw Sunday a gust of wind put some sawdust in my face, this evening I have raging conjuctivitus, pharmacist viewed me with horror from fifteen foot away and told the assistant get the antibiotic eye drops.......
Got home realised why pus oozing out of my eyes and this screen is viewed through a fuzzy halo. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Sounds miserable Peter. Makes you realise that sometimes even the relatively simple jobs we do can have unexpected health hazards. Now if you had been doing that in a work environment you would probably have been ticked off by the Elf and Safety brigade for not wearing protective goggles. In retrospect, probably not a bad idea although we never anticipate these little accidents happening.
robo
KG Regular

Some timbers can cause all sorts of health issues ,greenhart is one of the worst ,some of the pines fill you full of splinters when you use power tools on them
Stephen
KG Regular

Oh dear Peter, that sounds awful. You have my sympathy.
Please be very careful and make sure the pallet wood is absolutely clear of nails and staples when using a power saw on it.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hope you are soon able to do your peeping through keyholes again, Peter..... :)
All joking apart, hope they are soon on the mend, old thing.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, it is lovely to see you back on the forum, I really did miss not seeing you about......

Westi
KG Regular

I'll get the grape & apple chutney recipe off my mate & post it in recipes. She rates it, but is a real foodie with 2 chef sons in the business working in Michelin starred restaurants in London & it is one of their (or their restaurants) creations. But it's still a chutney so shouldn't be any gold leaf or unpronounceable ingredients anywhere hopefully! :) That will save a bit of space int he freezer hopefully!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Just got the electricity back from yesterday afternoon. Had a while before it died completely where we found out what the LED equivalent of the old incandescent brown out is; some lights were normal, some dim, some flashed - very strange.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

After nearly a month's worth of rain since yesterday lunch time the hen run has pools of water in all the hollows the hens have made for dust baths. I'll have to get some ducks. The wind doesn't seem to have caused any damage apart from blowing a lot of apples and pears off. At least the sun is out at the moment.
Primrose
KG Regular

I am nursing two baby courgette fruits of two very mildew plants and once they,ve grown to picking size they can go into the compost heap. I surprise and embarrass myself sometimes at my ha it of wanting to squeeze the very last ounce out of my plants before I dispose of them..

I'll have one final che k of the weather forecast this weekend but suspect I may decide to harvest the rest of the outdoor tomatoes for indoor ripening. Again I,m trying to catch the last decent autumn sunshine for natural ripening if I can.
Edna
KG Regular

Not much donr here in allotment past few days... too wet and windy. Went in last night for a few veg and several polytunnels scattered around. Mine is a bit loose but still upright so need to go down and get it fixed again. Can't get today as waiting for a big delivery. Bet they arrive when it's too late to go to allotment. Ah well tomorrow will have to do. At least it is dry, sunny and no wind today
retropants
KG Regular

We will be collecting tools adn netting etc, digging up things we want to keep, and saying goodbye to our 4 plots in October. My folks are moving in a couple of weeks, and after that will only be popping back (from Dorset) every now and then. It's going to be very strange not going there every Sunday possible, after 27 years.
robo
KG Regular

We are in the middle of gale force winds ,torrential rain with thunder and lightning ,forecast to last until tomorrow it's not very nice
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like a huge change in your life, Retropants, I do hope it things won't be too tough for you.

Westi
KG Regular

I'm sure you'll find Dorset very hospitable Retropants!

But that is quite a significant change in lifestyle, it will be a sad farewell for sure, but I'm sure you are as prepped as possible! Still a mega adjustment - all the best of luck!
Westi
Locked Previous topicNext topic