Where is everyone?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I know weather is behaving a bit better, so if like me, busy, busy sowing bits & bobs in spare ground!

I'm focusing on salad crops - quick wins & they have been my biggest disaster, next to the runners which I think is 3rd sowing but is finally obliging! I've had the grand sum of 3 Marvel of 4 seasons lettuce & some cut & come which were sappy & bitter. I have a home grown salad deficiency which needs rectifying.

Not everything is/was a disaster but I've got to sort the salad as it seems a short enough season normally! What is everyone else focusing on?
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I am sulking as the slugs have had a field day with my spuds. :x :x
robo
KG Regular

I've got a monk on as something is stripping my sweet corn they are eating half the husk then start another today I put rat poison down but I'm away in the morning in till sometime next week
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm still lurking about..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

I still pop in a few times a day :)
peter
KG Regular

Really busy, but not with gardening matters. :(
Annual show for Allotment Association and first match of rugby season on the 1st September. #splitpersonality Chairman / Barman.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

peter wrote:Really busy, but not with gardening matters. :(
Annual show for Allotment Association and first match of rugby season on the 1st September. #splitpersonality Chairman / Barman.

peter. What do you do in your spare time.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've lifted the Picasso potatoes as the tops had died down. There are a few with small holes in them but most are good. Not huge, but a nice size for jacket potatoes. I don't like the enormous ones.

Then I dug out a row of Glen Ample raspberries that have got virus. They put on a reasonable crop but I don't want it to spread to other raspberries in a different part of the garden.

We've actually had rain over night and heavy showers this morning. I've got a large bucket of assorted tomatoes to process and freeze this afternoon.

I've managed to give away, stew and eat a tree full of Opal plums and seem to have a few days respite before the Oulins Golden Gage and the early Worcester apples are ripe. All the fruit trees are laden this year.
robo
KG Regular

I've dug all my spuds up not a great crop the only ones left are the five bags i put in the pollytunnel in early February the idea was to have some early potatoes ,they have just started flowering ,I've had to move them outside as they were taking to much room up in the polly, the same ones I planted in the beds have been used long ago
Monika
KG Regular

I'm still here ...... We are winding down the allotment now. Our leeks have surpassed themselves this year and I planted far too many (to keep us going until spring next year), but as they are a good size already, I am starting to harvest and freeze them.
We now know our successors and I will tell them, one condition of taking on the plot is to wave to every passing train on the Embsay to Bolton Abbey Steam Railway which runs a field away. We usually get a response from one or two passengers and occasionally even a little hoot from the driver.
Just looking out of the window: a beautiful, intensely colourful rainbow!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Normally grow WILJA. This year for a change sowed Maris Piper. What a flop. Slugs have had a field day. Will have to go over to the Rugby Club tomorrow & maybe Sunday, and drown my sorrows. Ah such is life. :( :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic