Pa Snip Enterprise Log Stardate August 20 18

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:Hi Pa
Well done. You are more conscientious that I, who never weighs my crops.

Hi Stephen.

I find it handy to know cost of yield combined with notes on taste

I am thinking our local horticultural show section may be a bit thin on the ground for entries this year. We certainly have not got a lot to enter and nor have a couple of other mainstays of the show. We'll have even less if blight hits the toms. I had better try and sort the potato haulms out today as well just in case.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Is that a new cure for blight?

Maybe, but as my memory serves me (at least that still works) a pinch of salt adds flavour (as I recall) to the tomatoes.

Mind you nothing would surprise me when it comes to old wives tales about blight cures.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh dear Pa, I,ve not yet received a warning but you're close enough to us for us to be the next to receive a warning . Just as the tomato plants are dripping with fruit and starting to ripen too! I shall remove the thick net curtain from my peppers and place it over some of the tomato plants but I doubt that will be enough to protect them.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Did not get any further warnings the following day. Fingers crossed, no sign of blight so far.

Ability to eat decreasing, taste buds shot. However Mrs S and my daughter both keep me informed as to how crops are tasting and on rare occasions I get a hint of taste for myself.

Yesterday I picked this little selection some of which became part of last nights meal for Mrs S and I..

Tomatoes, Crimson Crush and Golden Sunrise (fairly obvious which is which except maybe to anyone colour blind))
2 heads of Broccoli Calabrese (which I am told was very tasty)
2 x Courgette

DSC_256301.jpg
DSC_256301.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 4286 times

Primrose
KG Regular

Tht looks a nice photo shot for one of those healthy eating articles. Shame about your appetite and taste buds Pa. any chance you can whizz them in a blender and perhaps still get some health benefits from them as a smoothie or a chilled gazpacho type soup?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

8 plants second early potatoes dug up by daughter yesterday, yield 17lb of very clean potatoes.

Still got 4 x Winston and 30 King Edward to dig out.

Hoping Edwards will provide the class entry for local show 8th Sept. Not exactly a profusion of things to enter in any class this year and I am not alone with that problem.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: Shame about your appetite and taste buds Pa. any chance you can whizz them in a blender and perhaps still get some health benefits from them as a smoothie or a chilled gazpacho type soup?

Got a feeling whisking my taste buds might be painful and the subsequent smoothie or soup would be very red :lol:

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Behave Pa Snip....you make me smile..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I thought I would make some soup out of the sprigs of broccoli that normally I leave on the plant until they throw yellow flowers up, yesterday I went round with the secutares and managed a decent amount,these are from the sprouting broccoli this year I've mainly grown calabres to stop the sprouting bits but I think I might have to have a rethink as the soup is lovely
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic