Sizzling Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

I was podding two large buckets of broad beans in the garden this morning at 7. After blanching and freezing them all, I was exhausted and sat down to read the Sunday papers ......

Having examined our sad peas on the allotment last night, I realise they are suffering from thrips and the harvest will be minimal this year.
peter
KG Regular

Torrential rain earlier today for about an hour, we were trapped coat & brolly less, until it stopped. :D

Only trouble is, we were in Bristol for daughters graduation ceremony and not a drop of rain at home. :( :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

My BBC weather app on my phone says I have a 20% chance of light showers on the 28th! I don't think I'll add a WHOOP! Not likely to happen & if it does won't make an impact! Question is do I buy some dripper feed things that may never see the light of day again or let them do their own thing? I'm opting for the 2nd - going be another decade maybe until we see this again!

This prediction may come back to bite me though!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's just started raining here but not very heavy. Little hedgehog seems to like it. At least it will coax a few slugs out for it.
Primrose
KG Regular

Its truly the Silly Summer Season. I'd just returned to the house after dropping off some surplus courgettes to a neighbour when there was a ring on the doorbell. It was only another acquaintance offering out a carrier bag. "Would you like some courgettes? I,ve grown more than I can use". :lol: :lol:

Why do these offering never come in the form of asparagus??
Monika
KG Regular

10mm rain last night - whoopee! It had all dried off by this morning but 'every little helps' as Tesco would say. No more forecast now.
Geoff
KG Regular

Went round us again. 1mm yesterday, 0 today. Drove to Lancaster this morning and after 3 miles the roads were wet.
Monika
KG Regular

Apparently, roads were flooded last night in the Leeds/Harrogate area, not too far away.
retropants
KG Regular

still not one single drop here.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Same here, we have had no rain for weeks and weeks, now.....quite sad to see things struggling so much.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Hertfordshire not having such a service my local paper referenced the rather good Essex Weather Centre, I'm under a mile from the border and our town has some random little bits tacked on across the border.
Anyway the word is it is now 46 days without any rain whatsoever.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

Deploy the pumps, cancel the hosepipe ban, we've had nearly 2mm!
Primrose
KG Regular

Getting beyond a joke now. All the plants here seem to be struggling and a lot of birds I,ve seen in the garden look quite distressed. I know it may be their moulting season but a night of good steady rain would be more than welcome. We had our guttering realigned recently so that any rainwater collected from the house roof at the front would be redirected to the end where the Dow pipe was connected to barter butts but haven,t been able to test how effectively this is working because we've had no rain !
Westi
KG Regular

Still no rain here either! Get teased with a nice black cloud bank forming & then moving further North somewhere! No-one has claimed it as rain so fizzled out no doubt! Will try to find out how long it has been since we have had rain! No hosepipe ban thankfully - yet??
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, so frustrating to see a chance of rain suggested in the weather forecasts and then nothing happens. The plants are all gasping now. It would almost be better if the weather forecasters didn't raise our hopes in the first place. I think the GPs must be having a lot of extra complaints from patients with bad backs from lifting heavy watering cans if they can't use hosepipes.

I'm still using one very sparingly to keep my vegs alive, watering in the cool of the evening down at the roots as I cant cope with heavy watering cans. I think anybody who used mulch on their veg patch has long since lost any benefit from doing so, and certainly for the foreseeable future there won't be any lawn cuttings to use. The only green lawn in the south of England right now must belong to a friend of mine who had her small patch Astro Turfed early in spring. She just sent me a photo of it. It looks singularly surreal when I survey all the dead lawns and verges around here " .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic