Early Summer bits and bobs - 2018

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Going to dig a root of early Swift potatoes for dinner tomorrow...can hardly wait.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My Charlottes are just starting to flower
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

We are having Rocket and a Snowball Cauliflower.
Monika
KG Regular

Our Rocket potatoes are flowering, so it won't be long!

Still not a drop of rain, so spent all morning watering ........
peter
KG Regular

Mine are just emerging from the ground.
Unlike the ****ing bindweed, which has rampaged in several parts of my raspberry patch.

One of my plotholders discovered allium leaf miner in her onions this week and it has been identified on several other plots, now feeling slightly better about being so far behind on the plot this year, as my sets are still in the shed. :?

Sorted out the pot plants today, two bags of compost and a barrow piled high with spent compost to the allotment as soil improver. Terrace looking better with tidy pots and longterm pot plants should he happy after a root rip, compost shakeout and repot with fresh compost including some water saver crystals.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Good luck with your pot plants Peter. I had to hide some in my garden one summer when my son brought them back from uni.!!!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I’ve not been very active on here or on the plot for the last 8 or 9 months.
Combination of The Alien Within and the treatment thereof has been sapping my energy, consequently I’ve struggled to keep up to speed with sowing, planting and posting.

Daughter has not been much better so not much physical help from that quarter. She did however keep up to speed on the sowing of seeds in her greenhouse.

Got to say a public thanks to Mrs Snip who has given me moral (and some immoral :roll: :lol: ) support and has also been very hands on with sowing and planting.

The allotment site had a visit from a local gardening club the other night. Some did not even know the allotments existed despite having lived in the parish for many years.
A fellow plotholder along with Mrs S and myself were on hand to greet them and show them round and it was quite pleasing to get comments of admiration about my onions. Not the best size I have grown in recent years but they are well formed . Do not think I will be entering the over 8oz Onion class this year though.

Tried a different supplier of seed potatoes this year, not impressed.
All bar four of the Winston rotted whilst chitting. Shame as we like that variety.

The first earlies were planted out 19-4-18 and have shown good strong growth above ground, just have to hope that strength is being replicated below
The King Edward seed potatoes were disappointing. Oversize marbles spring to mind. Usually get around 20 tubers per 2kg bag, this bag had over 50. They were planted out around 3 weeks after the earlies and so far are showing weaker top growth. Earthed the King Edwards up last Thursday & Friday.

Runner & French beans now planted out.
Alderman and Hurst Greenshaft peas also planted out.

Have yet to get leeks and sweetcorn out on the plot.

In process of transplanting brassicas, bit over ambitious on volume though space is getting tight.

Best sized strawberries (Cambridge Favourite ) for many a year despite the lack of attention they got at the end of last season

Garlic now suffering rust. Soon be time to take it out

DSC_006406.jpg
DSC_006406.jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 6005 times

DSC_006305.jpg
DSC_006305.jpg (78.11 KiB) Viewed 6005 times

DSC_006002.jpg
DSC_006002.jpg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 6005 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_006204.jpg
DSC_006204.jpg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 6006 times

DSC_006507.jpg
DSC_006507.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 6006 times

DSC_006810.jpg
DSC_006810.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 6006 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Going to dig a root of early Swift potatoes for dinner tomorrow...can hardly wait.... :)

Don't forget to tell us what you found

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm glad you are managing to keep the plot so good Pa. I've had a late start this year due to my health and the weather but am catching up nicely now. It is a pleasure to see everything growing isn't it even if some are doing better than others. I'm going to water the sweet corn and apply some nematodes to the potato bed today. I've not looked to see how the potatoes are doing yet but they look to have good top growth. Hope I'm not too late with the nematodes I don't like sharing with the slugs.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Nice to hear from you Pa and the plot is looking really good, you are well in front of us up here, my Cambridge Favourites are still in full flower, no fruit yet, my tatties are also very vigorous above ground and I guess I'm saying the same prayer to mother earth for a crop below.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

HI PP.

Mrs S has nematodes to apply as well. My own past experience of nematodes is that either I applied it incorrectly or the slugs were the equivalent of my alien in terms of resistance to treatment.

No question how much satisfaction can be gained from working the plot though

Glad to hear you are catching up, wishing you good health and a good season.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:Nice to hear from you Pa and the plot is looking really good, you are well in front of us up here, my Cambridge Favourites are still in full flower, no fruit yet, my tatties are also very vigorous above ground and I guess I'm saying the same prayer to mother earth for a crop below.

5lb picking of strawberries the other day. Woodlice seem to be this years foe, they've demolished quite a few so far

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What a wonderful post, Pa Snip, you always give the forum a tremendous lift with your pictures and your thoughtful and jolly words.
Glad you have kept on top of your allotments, they really are a credit to you and your family.

Regarding my potatoes, had to dig three roots to get a good helping for the four of us....looking forward to eating them this evening.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I've got loads of woodlice this year as well & they like a nibble of the strawberries and I have a wee field mouse who has found them also. Despite the number damaged by them the harvest has been massive so I do have loads for me as well!
Westi
Locked Previous topicNext topic