GDPR and all that !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

In the last 48 hours my email In box has been flooded with communications from all kinds of organisations who need to update me on their privacy policies and get me to continue "opting in" to receive their communications. I've actioned as appropriate and deleted the emails but I wish now I'd kept a record of them all somewhere, if only to remind me how many commercial/charitable/community type organisations I seem to have collected over the years.

It probably explains why like many of us on here, we seem to spend more and more time on screens these days !

I'm glad this exercise is over. Mr. Primrose and I have had to oversee this exercise for two local charitable/community organisations we're involved in and I really begrudge the pointless numbers of hours it has taken out of my life for seemingly no commensurate benefit in return. Talk about using a sledge hammer to crack a nut! :roll:
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm afraid I can't reply to that as it would breach my privacy policy.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Well that's Brussels for you, bureaucracy Sprouting at its most infuriating.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Well that's Brussels for you, bureaucracy Sprouting at its most infuriating.

Brussels sprouting eh...………….. 8)
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Pa - you should have been appointed Data Protection Commissioner. We might have had some more sensible versions of the policy emanating !!
Geoff
KG Regular

You've got to agree with the principle. It will be interesting to see if we still receive emails from people we have opted out from or not opted in to. We can't prove they've deleted our data. What are the rules for people we have never given details to?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Pa - you should have been appointed Data Protection Commissioner. We might have had some more sensible versions of the policy emanating !!

:lol: "more sensible " !!!!!! :lol: from me !!!! Highly unlikely Primrose

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

I didn't even identify some of the sites that wanted me to opt in - does anyone think the companies they sold our information to also sent us requests? I was a bit confused when I got a request to opt into a fishing site, something in German & some American BBQ site. I like (don't) the ones that make you read the whole ruddy policy & have an opt out button no bigger than a microbe & hidden in the text.
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:You've got to agree with the principle. It will be interesting to see if we still receive emails from people we have opted out from or not opted in to. We can't prove they've deleted our data. What are the rules for people we have never given details to?

If they hold sufficient data to identify you they should contact you.

Part of my day job and all these emails are a right pain, not actually neeeded in a flood now, just setup a mechanism to email based on time since gathered or last checked, whichever is more recent.

BTW you can't demand that HMRC stops contacting you. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic