re vets

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

Nothing to do with gardening - but does anyone know if it's ok to be registered with two vets? Our old vet has been taken over by a chain so we registered our moggy with a new one, a bit further away and he's had a checkup and blood work done, as they are cheaper. (and you get a free cuppa and a biscuit too!). However, the old one is nearer and a bit more handy for getting the flea treatments from. Can you be registered with two vets at the same time?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

To be honest Diane I would not give it a second thought ,I registered our dog with a vet around eight miles away he was the only vet I could find that was not part of a group , I went last year for his top up injections the vet was a young Spanish girl I asked her to have a look at a lump he had on his shoulder she drained it with a syringe and told me not to worry it was clear liquid and was common with his bread (Welsh sheep dog) I returned in February this year to get it drained again ,the vet had changed the new one was a smart ars++ ex double glazing sales person , he said I should have it surgically removed when I asked how much I was told £840 I told him to drain it ,he did and charged me £50 ,I'm now looking for another vet one that is a one man band as we used to say
Pa Snip
KG Regular

My granddaughter who is a qualified VN informs me there is nothing to stop you being registered with more than one vet.

what is of importance though is making sure all your vets are kept up to date on treatment or procedures carried out on your animals.

Talk to your vets and tell them why you want to register with others, you may find them helpful.

We are registered with two vets, primarily because our second vet has cheaper out of hours emergency service.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

Brilliant answers - thank you. The new vet knows about the old vet and I've given permission for the new vet to contact the old vet for Alfie's previous history, so I'm covered in that respect. I love this forum :D
Colin2016
KG Regular

After neighbour took his dog to another vet for a second opinion, the first vet was not happy, so phoned him and took him off her books.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

She obviously felt her professional competence was being questioned , perhaps he didn't discuss with her that he would like a second opinion.

If he had told her then who needs a vet that thinks she is a demigod anyway.

The prime interest of 99% of the vets I have come across professionally has been the welfare of the animals, I can think of just one who had money as his prime motive. Always a bad apple in every profession

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

I know what you mean about the chain of vets. That's why I moved to another vet with transparent pricing clearly shown on their website. The chain vet hasn't replied to my request for a price list nor is there a price list on their website.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic