carniverous plants again...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

Had a trip out to Hampshire Carniverous Plants this afternoon. They're having an Open Day/s. Came home with a few more for my collection. It's well worth a visit if you're in the area. The plants are absolutely stunning.

https://www.hantsflytrap.com
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Diane,
that reminds me of when I did a stint at a botanical gardens as a student and they had a delivery of sundews for some kind of project or other. They were to be kept in the glasshouses and so they were installed in the temperate house and when we came in the following morning they were COVERED in whitefly. They looked as though there had been a nasty accident with the contents of a snow globe! I swear I thought I could hear those sundews burping....
Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve heard of companion planting to help attract greenfly and blackfly away from vegetables but never carnivorous plants as an alternative. I guess that's because they would only work for their living in a warmer environment like a greenhouse. I love Sally's story abiut the whitefly. I guess these small plants have rather delicqte digestions and there's a limit to their appetite.
Diane
KG Regular

No, they're really tough. Depending on the species, they can survive outdoors in winter under snow.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
I forgot to mention that I have seen native sun dews in the wild at Strensall Common nature reserve near York. There is a website and it is really lovely. We went whilst I was at college and we also had a look at the soil structure on the nearby Strensall army barracks. It has one of the few unploughed areas of lowland bogs left in the country.
Whilst we were there we were told about a chap from the ministry of agriculture who had been sent to do a soil survey from the Pennines to the coast. He was discovered digging holes in the middle of the firing range and when this was pointed out to him there was a strange blank spot on his survey.....
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic