What distracts you on the plot ??

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Being next to a private airfield there is many a day when light aircraft are either taking off or landing on the runway that is in line with our allotments.

Another distraction is watching the red kites congregating each afternoon because a neighbouring house is stupidly feeding them>>

Today however the distraction was more a case of ........DUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First a Spitfire

DSC_032602.jpg
DSC_032602.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

DSC_033204.jpg
DSC_033204.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

Then a Hurricane

DSC_036724.jpg
DSC_036724.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

The aircraft and pilots are part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and were part of the Trooping the Colour flypast yesterday. They flew in yesterday and took off literally over our plot
Shortly after their swift take off Mrs S and I were joined by daughter, son in law and grandson and I am pleased to say all 6 varieties of brassica's got planted up.
Only leaves us the leaks and sweetcorn to transplant once they are big enough.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The other pleasing result today was 3.5kg of strawberries picked, that's over 5kg so far this season

DSC_039435.jpg
DSC_039435.jpg (57.68 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

Probably be flat out tomorrow as spent 6 hours up plot today. Take it easy the Doc said, :lol: I thought she knew me better :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

The biggest distraction we have is watching the police helicopter chasing Rick heads over the fields behind the allotments then listening for the sirens before we decide which part of town it's all happening at
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The airfield has set up a section near our plots as the helicopter refuel point. This means we get helicopters in and out quite regularly.

Since we are firmly located in Berkshire it is usually the NPAS helicopter we see if any.

Met Police helicopter was providing security cover for the recent wedding at Windsor.

DSC_0052-edit.jpg
DSC_0052-edit.jpg (214.15 KiB) Viewed 4400 times

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Nothing really, apart from people looking for me, wanting to know if i'm able to repair something for them.....it really is the most perfect spot.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Pa Snip. AH. brought back memory's of laying on our Anderson Air-raid shelter watching the dog fights almost overhead. Later to be known as the battle of Britain.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Only the wildlife distracts me, we are in a rather quiet little village, but as they will soon commence building more houses on the other side of it, maybe not as quiet as it has been.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Villageduckpond
KG Regular

Nothing as noteworthy as special planes flying overhead to distract me in my city veggie patch, I have to say, but I often stop to watch and listen to the birds. Also, I have at last found a squirrel-proof bird feeder (now hanging in the small apple tree near the house) which really works.
Monika
KG Regular

Our local heritage railway with its ancient steam and diesel engines and even more ancient carriages always attracts our attention and, like the true local yokels we are, we always wave enthusiastically. However, the trains mostly run at weekends whilst we do most of our allotment work during week.
Westi
KG Regular

It's a toss up, depending on the chosen flight path I can get the Red Arrows go over from the Bournemouth Air Festival & occasionally we even get a steam engine going along the track over the field behind. Hedge row has grown so miss the trains mostly.
What distracts me most is the dog if honest, daft thing & her ball obsession keeps me busy - especially when she 'plants' it in my hole I've prepped for my plants or drops it in the weed trug & gets all angsty when I throw it on the compost heap! NOT climbing up the pile to rescue it so have loads of balls available for her & dig up loads as well - not ball shape by then but she seems happy! :)
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
I too suffer from aircraft distractions as my plot is more or less between Duxford and Cambridge Airports so we see lots of different planes. In the past month I have seen a dragon rapide, the French version of the red arrows and sundry commercial aircraft. We sometimes see gliders, hot air balloons and bi-planes of various flavours.

There are trees all round the plots with a canal down one side and a stream on the other so there is lots of wildlife including water voles and kingfishers. The insect kingdom is represented well with lots of different dragonflies and butterflies for distraction purposes.

We also have footpaths sown either side of the plots and they are a favourite haunt of joggers who depending on age, fitness level and tightness of lycra can provide lots of passing scenery for everyone. Dog walkers use the footpaths a lot and as far as I am concerned all the pooches NEED to be given cuddles.

I also provide distractions for the other plotholders myself when I bring up my trolley laden with baby plants as everyone seems to know that I usually have spares..... Everyone is my friend on those days!
Regards Sally Wright.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

What interesting distractions you all have. Observing the wildlife is an enjoyable diversion. My cat rushing out to ambush me when I'm not expecting it is quite exciting, but the thing that really gets on my nerves is the man across the road who uses an extremely noisy, smelly petrol strimmer to cut a large lawn ,all the bankings and everything strimmable near his house. He wears ear defenders and it takes him abut two hours by which time I've usually had to go in doors to avoid killing him.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote: but the thing that really gets on my nerves is the man across the road who uses an extremely noisy, smelly petrol strimmer to cut a large lawn ,all the bankings and everything strimmable near his house. He wears ear defenders and it takes him abut two hours by which time I've usually had to go in doors to avoid killing him.

Sounds like a highly justifiable case of noise nuisance to report to the council.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:What interesting distractions you all have. Observing the wildlife is an enjoyable diversion. My cat rushing out to ambush me when I'm not expecting it is quite exciting.

Here's one cat you wouldn't want to be ambushed by PP :D One of these in the undergrowth is a good indicator that the gardens gone a bit wild

DSC_6821584.jpg
DSC_6821584.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Pa it could probably hide quite easily in the overgrown bits. Might also come in handy if it ate strimmer man.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic