Glorious Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

You've panicked me! Forecast says minimum 5 yet it's fallen from 5 to 4.5 in the last half hour so I've been out and pulled my polythene sheet over the potato bed but as you say everything else takes it's chance. We were only saying today it's probably the first time the Dicentra hasn't got frosted, hopefully it won't affect the beautiful apple blossom.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hope your plants are ok. It got down to 1.2°c at 04.45 this morning in my lower garden.
Geoff
KG Regular

Went down to 0.2 so guess there was a ground frost but can't see any sign of it so far.

PS : Haven't found any damage but the 0.2 is 10' in the air so must have been a ground frost.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes it was close but everything looks ok. I've mowed the lawns and am wondering whether to get the hose out to water everything. I don't think we've had any rain since I sowed the peas and they've all come up quickly. The pond level has dropped by 6 inches this week.
Monika
KG Regular

Got away with just 0C but the potatoes and non-hardy fuchsias were covered up with fleece but I took everything else slightly tender into the greenhouse. The car roof was certainly covered with frost this morning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We were lucky, as i think the strong breeze here, kept the frost off....it was nippy though!
Things really are starting to grow at a pace now, what is lovely to see.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, OH, doesn't everything look so fresh and green? On our large wild patch in the garden there are flowering red campion, aquilegia of different colours, honesty, hedge garlic, camassia, allium, the last primroses and masses of white woodruff ..... The bird cherries have just finished flowering (the strong northerly wind yesterday produced a veritable 'snowstorm' of white petals!) but the hawthorn, rowan and crab apple are just starting to open up. Bring it on!

Not much work doing on the allotment until (1) there is no threat of frost and (2) we get some rain. Everything is very dry and I don't want to risk planting the leeks, for instance, or sowing more peas before the ground gets a good soaking.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've covered my potatoes again tonight but I think there is less risk. It has come out a bit odd but here is why I am worried about frost getting to my fruit blossom.

IMG_4020_R.jpg
IMG_4020_R.jpg (1012.72 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thank goodness it's a nice day, I can avoid all media coverage of the wedding and the football. And what on earth is "bowl food"? It conjures up images of a row of dog dishes.
robo
KG Regular

I'm going down to my plot I'm going to lock myself into the shed but I will be home just before 3 o clock as the magic weekend kicks off this afternoon ,the first decent match is my team v widnes
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Did you try the free Quartz sugar snap peas last year? They were a bit puny but tasted lovely and even though we were given only 9 seeds I had enough to eat and saved another 9 seeds to sow this year. So far 6 have germinated and are making nice plants so better germination than last year.
Westi
KG Regular

I watched the wedding hoping to criticise, but was pleasantly surprised with the dress, down played to show the veil. I had one young flower girl at my wedding who threw herself on the floor half way up the aisle, she had loads of 'bridesmaids' in kindergarten! Mind in my case it was a distraction from the demented vicar who mixed up my names so our wedding certificate wasn't valid & had to be re-written. By the time we got out of the church 90% of the invited guests were at the reception which blew the photos by the river! Mind we laugh now as we did then. I believe we were the last wedding he conducted! ;)
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Your wedding sounds entertaining Westi. I'm not a wedding fan but it sounds as if they've tried to be a bit more down to earth than the usual royal extravaganzas. She's a brave woman marrying into our royal family.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

At least she has married into the generation that is a bit more in tune with the common world,but yes its a brave risky move. but she just reminds me of Wallis Simpson at times. One things for sure she wont be hard up in future

Bishop Michael grabbed his moment of glory with both hands, some very bemused and amused faces during his extended performance, for performance it was.

What the hell was that thing sitting on Camilla's head !!

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thought the gospel song was brilliant turned it up full belt on the plot.

Remember a wedding when the vicar failed to turn up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic