(Delayed) Spring 2018

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The onion setts are in at last. I did some speed planting between heavy showers, trying to balance on the only planks I could find which were too narrow. The ground is extremely sticky if not quite waterlogged.
Geoff
KG Regular

There seems to be an error in tomorrow's forecast.

never.jpg
never.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's right so far Geoff.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm getting the factor 50 out in anticiption....... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Hard frost this morning, but we too have some sunshine.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

very chilly cycling to work this morning, but its is lovely out there at the moment. I got up early to get some laundry done and hung out before I had to leave!
robo
KG Regular

Wall to wall sunshine I can't believe the amount of plants with shoots showing ,I've got the same forecast on my phone for tomorrow but the local radio is giving a cloudy day and heavy rain , I've just got back from the plot were I planted two rows of Pease as well as an hour or so in the pollytunnel as well as sweet Pease
Monika
KG Regular

What a lovely day! My sweet and chilli peppers spent the day in the greenhouse, basking in the fresh air and sunshine, after having been confined to an albeit sunny windowsill. The first sowing of peas and broadbeans in root trainers are under a close netting tunnel and will be planted out this weekend under wire netting to keep the sparrows off.
The flowers of tulipa kauffmanniana Scarlet Baby and Ancilla were wide open today and covered in honey bees. The bumble bees favoured the erysimum.
Bring it on, spring! (ever hopeful.......)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:There seems to be an error in tomorrow's forecast.

never.jpg

Was a cracking day here, I read Geoff's post around 7:30 am as the morning sun shone and lit up a clear blue sky.

Did about an hours work on the plot late morning. Might get back there again today but certainly aim to over the weekend.

Despite the fact the ground looks sodden in the pictures it was in fact very workable. All the work since 2012 on getting better drainage has paid off

Weed growth not too bad given I have not worked on the plot since before Christmas

DSC_009308.jpg
DSC_009308.jpg (115.45 KiB) Viewed 4215 times

DSC_009005.jpg
DSC_009005.jpg (126.63 KiB) Viewed 4215 times

DSC_008601.jpg
DSC_008601.jpg (152.18 KiB) Viewed 4215 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Today I am hoping to get up the plot for a while, will depend on how long I have to spend at hospital being measured for a radiotherapy face mask mould to be made

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

Although it's dry and drying, the forecast for next week is all for NE or E wind, so still rather cool and unpleasant for plant growth. The allotment is fully dug, weeded, covered where needed and and measured out, so I will not sow or plant anything until it turns west again. Our garden is more sheltered and hospitable and outdoor gardening will start there this weekend.
Primrose
KG Regular

Eureka! We actually managed to get the lawns cut today and the edges trimmed. Garden looks much tidier now but shocked how much moss has accumulated over this wet winter. Plenty to spare for the birds’ nesting materials. Wonder if they could all be trained to come down and pull it all out !
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I agree Primrose, the moss has gone mad here too. One lawn is nearly all moss so I can't imagine what it would look like if I used moss killer on it. At least it looks green and quite neat so I might leave it but I'll have to tackle the other two before they get any worse.
Westi
KG Regular

When you have had cloud & rain for so long you really appreciate how nature responds to a nice sunny day. My tulips are opening, my back room seedlings have shot up & my newly sown trays of lettuce are showing. Now it feels like spring! My phone is not showing any yellow cheery suns next week but the temperatures look fine & the bonus is there won't be the big night time drops to upset the little ones.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Had a trip up to Kinloss to visit my son and his family, snow on the hills all the way up, no rush to garden yet, certainly not outside of the conservatory anyway.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic