Postage & Packing aka Delivery Charges

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

A recent post about post and packing prompted me to carry out a mini straw poll.
By no means extensive but does include market leading names.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Seed only Orders >>>>>> Onion sets, shallots & potatoes and
……………………………………………………………………………………..other non -seed items

D T Brown ………………………£0.95 …………………………………..£4.95
Mr Fothergill ………………………..£1.95 ………………………………… £4.95
Kings Seeds …………………………….£1.50 …………………………………. £3.50 > £5.50
Suttons…………………………………….£1.99 ………………………………..£4.99
Thompson & Morgan ………………£1.95 …………………………………£4.95
Unwins …………………………………. £1.99 …………………………………£4.99

Standard Charges shown, as found on companies web site pages on 25/10/17 and are for UK Mainland.
Charges shown above are PER ORDER not per item.
Where seed and non- seed items are ordered the non-seed charge will be applicable and include any non -seed items on same order.

Above is guide only, as accurate as I could be but may be errors or even dare I say “applicable special offers”

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Interesting Pa!

Makes me a bit angry reading it actually. I bought some new asparagus crowns & get e-mail saying delivery 18 - 23 October, went online to track where the parcel was as it hasn't come, and it says 'dispatched' but then says delivery Nov/Dec? Either postman is taking it for a scenic journey around the local area or is coming by camel train from somewhere.

Now what you should do is pack a parcel exactly the same weight (even same thing in it) & go to your local post office to check out what they actually charge, although probably that info is online somewhere. We won't factor in the huge discounts these suppliers must get for volume but I bet it is revealing! Then you are on Rip of Britain & they are shamed. But then they just re-coup the profit by putting up the price of the individual things we buy so maybe you could be busy for a bit going around in circles. Interesting though!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

But how many packages per hour does the employee on minimum wage do in an hour?
Ordered 10 packets of seeds at 99p each this evening from Premier Seeds Direct - not only did that include p&p but because I ordered 10 there was a 15% discount, that's more like it.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have not come across Premier Seeds before, looks useful.

I couldn't find free P & P but starting at only 40p who is going to argue the cost (oh silly me, someone on here will)

If we went on the principle of not buying because staff may be on minimum wage we are going to have a job doing the weekly shop at any major supermarket and of course no one has ever purchased in "pound" shops

Didn't see mention of a catalogue but guessing they must have one, The bulk10 discount code for orders over £10 they mention was not recognised. It may be applied automatically when checking out, I didn't get that far.

Not a huge range but certainly big enough with many varieties I have not seen listed elsewhere

Thanks for the info Geoff

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I think their direct shop is different to eBay where I bought from. As usual on eBay (unless I've missed something all these years) you can't search for a supplier but if you go from this item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOWR-SWEET- ... 4902.l9144 to the shop there is a reasonable interface.
I wasn't worried about packers receiving minimum wage just commenting that it is part of the p&p calculation not just the shipping.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I wasn't worried about packers receiving minimum wage just commenting that it is part of the p&p calculation not just the shipping.

Wasn't a pop at you Geoff, just that it isn't first time its been mentioned when the subject of P & P crops (deliberate) up.
There were a lot of ebay and Amazon Premier Seed url's listed when I did the first search, I didn't go to any, just to their own main webpage.

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Pa Snip. Do you have the full email address of Premier Seeds. My Google leads me on a goose chase with eBay & amazon. :? :?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Pa Snip. Do you have the full email address of Premier Seeds. My Google leads me on a goose chase with eBay & amazon. :? :?

http://www.premierseedsdirect.com/

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Pa Snip. many thanks. :D
robo
KG Regular

I googled them I put 11 packets of seeds in my basket as yet I've not purchased I'm waiting for my wife to order her flower seeds but I was charges 40 pence postage
tigerburnie
KG Regular

That Premier site looks great what are their seeds like, anyone grown them in the past?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Don't forget the free p&p and discount only seems to be via eBay. I have grown their over Winter onion sets successfully and a few seeds; onions, sweet peas, chillis, gourds, some perennial flowers and all have germinated. I'm doing my stock check and plan to see if there is anything else I can get from them in case the 15% Autumn discount finishes at the end of the month.
robo
KG Regular

What I like is they list the number of seeds in the packet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Order quickly, as they seem to be getting a sudden amount of business.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Getting some great offers for veg, bulbs & seeds but when you add p & p they are not so good.

Last year I noticed local garden centre was selling onion sets by the lb/kilo so will be looking into if it would be cost effective.

On a side note p&p include wins over + p&p hence why I go to amazon first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic