Rat Poison.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Rat Poison.

Postby Shallot Man » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 am

Have a couple [at least ] of our rodent visitors. Any rat poison you can recommend ?
0 x
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Re: Rat Poison.

Postby oldherbaceous » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:38 am

Morning Shallotman, since the general public can now only buy half strength poison, compared to that for proffesional use, it's hard to reccomend one. The problem being, if someone has been using one of the less effective ones near you, the rats will have probably become tolerant to it, so it may not work...so i would say, it's just take your chance....not trying to be un-helpful..... :)
0 x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Postby Pa Snip » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:35 pm

You are also limited to only being able to buy 1.5kg max unless you have appropriate training and certificate

Last time I needed some I could not find the one I used to use so purchased Neosorexa Gold.
It comes in what is said to be edible sachets

I have 4 baiting stations which had had the contents consumed so when we next saw evidence I baited with the sachets. Checked a few days later, not one sachet had even been nibbled.
Opened the sachets in the usual way. Your post has now reminded that its time to check the bait stations again
0 x

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 pm

I've always used these which still seem to be available https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMCAT-2-RAT ... _XECNve9oA
0 x
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:01 pm

I always buy a different one every time I need poison the idea is rats can get used to and thrive on poison ,I use the blocks I put three or four on a length of wire I put a steel bar through the wire to stop rats running off with it I then blockade it from my chickens and hopefully other wildlife I find the poison box's useless
0 x
Diane
KG Regular

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 pm

I always used this - as I have a lot of other wildlife in our area - http://www.eradibait.com
0 x
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Postby Shallot Man » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you for the advice.
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm

I use the same as Geoff and my lottie neighbour uses one of the ones that are not available now as he bought up loads when the news came out they were being stopped for the amateurs. We have worked together baiting over winter & we have not had bait taken or signs of rats for about 6 weeks. Hopefully knocked out a full generation & seen the resident lot off, but the next wave will be on the move as there are so many plots with chickens around the allotment - some with not the best hygiene standards.
0 x
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Postby tigerburnie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:33 pm

I find a .22 calibre BSA seems to stop them in their tracks
1 x
Been gardening for 60 years and still learning

Return to “General chatter”