Late Winter Bits and Bobs - 2018

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:It does feel a little Spring like, but rain in the week is going to put pay to much progress.....i can feel my sap starting to rise but, i'm sure you all don't want to hear about my problems... :)

OH. Re sap rising. Are you boasting, or complaining.
robo
KG Regular

I thought I felt my sap rising but it turned out to be sciatica
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Certainly not complaining, but i also don't like boasting.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Just looked out of the window and seen our local sparrowhawk actually perched on the top of our bird feeder structure. It has obviously decided that if the mountain won’t come to Mohammad, Mohammad must come to the mountain!

It sat there for 15 minutes waiting hopefully in vain as all the usual birds had scarpered. I hope this isn’t going to be a regular occurrence. At least it kept all the starlings away !
retropants
KG Regular

weeded our new raspberry bed of clumps of couch grass yesterday. I was going to plant the garlic, but the ground is far too sticky. So it'll have to wait another week at least :(

Lots of bird activity in the garden this weekend, hopefully the blackbirds and Robins won't mind that we scalped the laurel hedge last month!!
Diane
KG Regular

Still too cold for me outside- and the ground is sodden. The greenhouse, however, is looking a bit more interesting, which a few trays of annuals coming along nicely. Just heard that the arctic weather is coming back next weekend. So much to do yet and I'm getting a bit worried now.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

I watched the local news & they said 'Beast from the East' was returning down here with snow - oh that will be fun! :( It's coming for the weekend, right after rain for everyday from Wednesday! Does anyone know how quick Torvil & Dean can teach ice skating to a novice numpty?? ...Just when I was thinking I might be ready for Spring sowing!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Shallots and garlic, started in pots the unheated greenhouse, are now outside. The greenhouse is slightly heated, the thermostat set at 10C, and hardy annuals and other almost hardy plants are on the move, so hopefully the new 'beast from the east' (see Westi's post above) won't be too bad.
robo
KG Regular

We are getting -4 on the forecast for Saturday not as bad Sunday I've not planted any thing yet apart from Lee's I might start on Sunday, our pond is full of spawn ,we normally get around 17 breading pairs all croaking away I've not counted them this year as yet
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Planted garlic some time ago. One row my own stock. One row from the local supermarket. [three large bulbs about 70 p. ] Both now the same height about six inches. [ sorry I am still imperial. ]
Primrose
KG Regular

Thank you Shallot Man. I only do Imperial too. When people talk to me about apmeth8ng measuring X cms x Y cms I have no conception of what length it is at all.
I’m hoping that in due course we’ll get all our Imperial measurements back, including gallons!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Imperial here too...well on most things.... :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Superb day here, warm and sunny.....but just getting the Winter clothes out ready for the weekend.... :)

robo
KG Regular

Both myself and my wife have gone down with the dreaded lurgie I've never felt this bad for years
Diane
KG Regular

Oh Robo - that's a shame. Just as spring is hopefully thinking about arriving - pretty soon - perhaps? Hope you both are soon feeling better. Rest up.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Locked Previous topicNext topic