Decision made!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks Westi, I see the netting is the type used scaffolding do the big holes let in the unwanted bugs?
Colin2016
KG Regular

"There are these round clips you pop the tubes in"

Is this the part you are referring to Westi?
Attachments
Clip.jpg
Clip.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
Westi
KG Regular

That's them Colin!

They work well except for the screw bit, master that & it's a winner in my eyes! The netting is finer than scaffold netting (not that I've been up close & personal to scaffold netting so could be fibbing) & the cabbage whites only get in via the door when I'm working inside - my door is modified to a roll up as their way was not practical to get in & out constantly with Trugs of weeds to the compost. I'm going to put one of those plastic strips of tapes insect door things up for next year to cover that problem as the hunt for the unwanted guests is time wasted.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Could you not weld them with plumbers plastic adhesive ,the stuff they use on waste pipes
Colin2016
KG Regular

I'm thinking nut & bolt either where dot is or the arrow or both that way it can be dismantled easily.

As for the netting I can see a way of using the larger hole to make it more stable.

The size of my additional plot is 7 metre x 12.5 metres so wondering what size is you have Westi?
Westi
KG Regular

Robo & Colin!

You are talking to someone that uses no more nails as a standard prop to repair anything! I am so un-coordinated can't even be trusted with a hammer - but I do have the old whack now & again - usually regretted I might add! Mine was a big one but space for it was not available when the help was so it is about 12 metres but I never touched the netting (tucked in nicely) & kept the extra fixtures & fittings for when I move it to accommodate the rotation to a space that will take it in it's full size then the rotation will be end to end inside the tunnel!

I have a very windy site, the size of the netting is not the issue but the plastic tubing, it will move regardless which is not all negative - better that than having it fly off over the fields. What is the name of the plumbers adhesive so I can order on 'A'?
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Would a table tie be a better alternative to clue & drilling especially as you are going to be moving it.

Your mention of rotation is something I am concerned with as ideally I would not want to keep moving it although as I use the no dig system perhaps that is not a major issue

On a side note this is how I used similar netting for the raised beds with bamboo in the large hole along the centre for strength & filling up the bigger hole.

Initially these were for protecting the new sowings, now wondering if I can put these on posts to raise them and have netting hanging down the sides.
Attachments
Mesh  Cover 1.jpg
Mesh Cover 1.jpg (280.45 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
Westi
KG Regular

Colin - Thank you!

Here I am using plastic coated wire when a cable tie would be a much better option! Doh sometimes my brain takes a holiday without putting the 'out of office' on! It's not that hard to put up, but on reflection I'm not sure I want to move it, might just extend it - or not!

I like your cane idea & that will give lots of support & stabilise the structure if you raise it. You could replace the skirt to match the crop & conditions - netting, mesh, even maybe heavy duty polythene if you can find a way not to make it reusable.

Cheers again Colin.
Westi
Edna
KG Regular

I agree with Tiegrburnie. We got one of these walk in tghingies adn erected it as per instructions but in that last wind it shattered thge plastic joints and there fore rendered useless. We have since invested in a metal one that boltas together. Am saving the curved parts of the broken one to makr low level tunnels that I'll cover with netting or pastic and plant the onions under it
Westi
KG Regular

I'm with you on bolt together metal Edna! When this one dies I will invest in a poly tunnel structure & perforated polythene over it. In retrospect I should have researched more but at the time it was finances foremost as house stuff came first. House is kind of sorted so if this tunnel lasts a bit will have enough saved for a proper tunnel or perforated polythene over a metal tunnel structure.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

How long is the perforated polythene supposed to last? I'd never heard of it being used for tunnels before this thread.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP!

I don't know to be honest. I found it on the US Amazon site when I was researching. Edna asked on here so I directed her to there and she bought it so she would be the better person to answer.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks Westi looks like I'll have to wait a few years for an update.
Westi
KG Regular

Edna comes on with a question now & again so she might be quicker than me, unless nature takes mine! Then I will go for the metal poly frame & search again & will let you know!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Visited my sister the other week who has two intact metal tubed mesh tunnels and a pile of twisted plastic tubes after "The Beast from the East".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic