Runner Beans and Courgettes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin Miles
KG Regular

I bought 2 lots of 12 Runner Beans from Marshalls - Whiteflowered Moondust and Red-flowered Firestorm. If we had relied on the latter we would have had just enough for the 2 of us. As it is I have been picking almost a basket full of beans from Moondust and feeding all the neighbours for the past couple of weeks, and still they come.

A neighbour a couple of doors away has been growing redflowered Butler, which has had such good reviews and has complained that a lot of the flowers have fallen off. Speaking to friends yesterday at the National Botanic Garden of Wales, it seems that redflowered Armstrong was also 'failing' whilst another whiteflowered variety was doing well.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I also bought 3 courgettes - stripey Latino, yellow Lemona and green Tuscany. Now I am not suggesting the colours have anything to do with their cropping ability, but Latino outcrops the others perhaps as much as 4 to 1 in the case of Lemona and perhaps only 3 to 1 for Tuscany. Also larger and, according to reports last year when I also grew them, tastier.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

We have 16 Firestorm and 16 St George runners and have had enough of them to feed my wife and I, put some in the freezer, feed the 4 members of my daughters family and we've given some to neighbours and sold some as well.
Grown both varieties each season for last 3 years.

Last two pickings of Firestorm alone (3 days apart) = just over 20lb and more ready to be picked

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

My runners were a disaster and both were red flowered. Part of that was the wind damage & part was they took off early & got huge beans inside them very quickly! Don't know the cause for that but they seemed to seed almost from the start when only small so something stressed them - maybe the wind as well?

My yellow courgette Parador? or something like that, has given me a few but my green has been mental. Not growing parador again will stick with gold rush which has performed well previously!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic