Mammoth marrow competition

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Emma
KG Regular

Have you have a good sized marrow on your plot? Do take a picture and enter our competition. There is just over a week left to enter. Deadline for entries is 30th August 2017.

Click for more details
Mammoth marrow competition
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Emma!

My poor soul is just 17" but appears to be growing still as I had to move the cold frame forward as it hit the glass again! Not likely I'll be entering but enjoying reading about everyone's trials & tribulations! Maybe next year you should give out free seeds for something that will be mammoth as folk have given up already, as these marrows aren't meant to be huge!

Any chance of Atlantic Giant Pumpkin seeds or the like on the mag? Just a couple of seeds & let's see the competition open up to this challenge! Good idea though for the mag readers & the forum!
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Must confess I thought the original suggestion about this competition taking place involved the 'long bush' seeds that were given away with the magazine.

I have not measured mine as yet but visually I would say it wont win prizes (STOP IT !!! :lol: )

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I've three I've allowed to grow the largest is around 18 long it seems to me that they won't grow anymore I think I will give this competition a miss
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OH ROBO !!!!!

Hope you do go for it. At this rate no one from the forum will be taking part.
We may not stand any chance of winning but we can't let the side down on entries.

I will if you will.
:D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

Oh...I wish I'd planted a marrow now! I'd have joined in. The free seeds for next year suggestion is excellent Westi. I hope they take up your request.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

Pa snip I will see what I can come up in the next few days ,there are a few on the forum keeping shush I don't think it will be only us that enter
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It will be a shame if a non free marrow seed wins, I suppose......as they aren't the biggest of marrows.

I will be getting someone to take a photo for me.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pawty
KG Regular

Good luck everyone!

I didn't join in as I didn't have any of the long bush seeds (i did try and get some from kg .... but no luck). Maybe next year.

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Actually when you think about it - how could you tell which marrow was which when they are fully grown? My courgettes get bigger than than my marrow & look pretty much the same! Hmm? Mine is definitely long green bush though so will take a pic & submit! Come on OH we know you've got one at least 1/2 the size of a small car! :) :)
Westi
robo
KG Regular

That's easy westi ,any very large marrows that are entered are probably a different variety
Last edited by robo on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If it's a stripy one and not a very dark green one, I think we might know.....funny thing is, Old Codger is growing a stripy variety this year, for selling and the marrows are a lot bigger in three weeks, then the biggest of my competition one....typical... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
KG Emma
KG Regular

Just to let you know that in the end we decided to leave it open to any variety. We have not actually specified in the rules that you have to only use a marrow grown from the free seeds we gave away.
A giant pumpkin competition may be a good one next year.
robo
KG Regular

Looks like I've wasted summer growing something that will go to the chickens for feed ,I think we should have been informed of this sooner
KG Emma
KG Regular

Well the competition rules has been published in the magazine every month since about July so no excuses I'm afraid. Clear as day in the rules. Any marrow will do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic