You learn something new every day !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Was in a garden centre today (well, at least it was a plant nursery once before it started diversifying into general consumer tatt like many have done over the years) and was attracted by a plant which I wasnt sure was a perennial or an annual. I didn,t even know what the plant was as there were no labels on the benches or on the pots to identify it . (What awful marketing not to educate your customers!)

Not one of the four staff on duty could tell me what the plant was but I liked it anyway so bought it but they told me "you can tell if it,s an annual if there's white somewhere In the pot colour ". Well, that's a new one on me ! Is this a standard industry policy or perhaps just one adopted by this garden centre .

So can anybody help me out? . My research suggests it may be a nemesia but is it an annual or a perennial? Nobody at the garden centre knew. They were on a bench with petunias but I'm not sure that's any classification assistance. They may have just been shuffling plants around to save space! I was wondering about trying to strike a couple of cuttings from it but no point if it's an annual.
Attachments
primroses-mystery-plant.jpg
primroses-mystery-plant.jpg (443.92 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Monika
KG Regular

Is it some sort of mimulus or diplacus (related to mimulus)? Or salvia?
Primrose
KG Regular

The leaves do look rather similar to some purple salvia I have in which case it might be a perennial. Just frustrated that garden centres sell plants they don't even know the names of!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I think the flower in question is Lisianthus known in the florists trade as Eustoma. Not sure of the foliage though.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic