Controversial diet matters.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

My only qualifier is that iv'e eaten a controversial diet for most of my life, controversial in-as-much-as I've been in a minority for easily 60 years though the ebb and flow of trends means I have been on-trend at times then when I avoided trends I was off-trend.

Regardless of trend I have always been a pain-in-the ass when eating out unless it was a chippy or we were in Glastonbury.

So. considering the too-ing and fro-ing of popular research that has disproved previous popular research will pot noodles prove to be a healthy diet when some goon in university decides on something quite different to interest the media thirst.

Right now we have people poorly because of the recent trend to avoid gluten, for many years butter was the stuff to kill you but sugar was ok. How on earth did anyone qualify that one ? We ran a Rosemary Connely franchise for a few years, the whole emphasis was on avoiding fat of any kind, little mention of sugar and not enough emphasis on exercise other than the in-class dance and a little encouragement to do more.

Now fat is ok, what about pot noodles ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Diane
KG Regular

That made me smile - and I'm in complete agreement. The only concession I make for "diets' is to eat a wide variety of food, but have it served on a smaller plate for a while, when my waist band gets a bit tight. I do have one confession though - I've never had a pot noodle, but now you've mentioned them, I feel the urge coming on to pop round to the corner shop for one. :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

One of our granddaughters is attempting to do the duke of Edinburgh award she had to do a day and night hike complete with cooking a meal , she rolled up with two pot noodles
richard p
KG Regular

i too have never had a pot noodle, ill admit to one mouthful of coke some 45 years ago. whether it was the real one or pepsi i cant remember,.

the biggest con of the last few years is the no sugar thing ... they chuck in aspartamine as a sweetener even though its a known neurotoxin.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Our private road is a footpath that often has DOE award youngsters trudging along on the way to the hostel at a nearby fabulous spot. I often chat with them, invite them to fill up with water or just sit and have a brew. They always have pot noodles.

I've been involved in various extreme-ish sports all my life, pot noodles on the top of a mountain, pot noodles anywhere when you need food that is easy to digest and a decent balance of long-chain carbs and fat with a lot more taste than oat cakes and water.

It's the MSG in most pot noodles that gets a bad press but it won't be long before someone proves that MSG makes you more virile or live longer or stops ingrowing toe nails.

The very fast turnover of controversy created by studies taking a different slant on the previous study and often with smaller and smaller study groups that are possibly ill-qualified to get involved ends up giving us little confidence in media releases.

My personal fitness and stamina peaked when I was 60. Pot noodles and banana sustained me along with a non meat diet. At 75 I'm knackered but I did a lot and had a lot of fun, I always eat butter, used full fat milk, lots of cheese and bread and I'm still 75 kilos.

Right now a study has shown that white bread is fine and no worse than wholemeal. How come that all these studies ignored that mostly people put stuff on the white bread.

If you have a sweet tooth, eat cake for a hobby and never walk further than your car your likely to be overweight. Try pot noodles instead of cake and don't worry about MSG so much.

Presumably most of you on this forum eat lots of veg and spuds but I bet we have competition cake eaters amongst us.

(Huge smile)
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Richard!

I'm pretty sure the noodles are fine, it's the stuff in the little packet that is dodgy I expect! It's all about your genetic makeup, your upbringing giving you generations of adaptations to the food eaten & common sense really! Mix it up, keep it seasonal etc. I'm actually sure chocolate crosses all seasons though! Do hope so! :)
Westi
John
KG Regular

Has anyone tried the Scottish Diet?

Scotland, a beautiful small European country, is blissfully free of ageing populations. The Scots die young and don't cling on their pensions for decades. What's their secret? The Scottish Diet, an age-old combination low in fresh fruits and vegetables and high in confectionery, fat enriched meat products, sweet and salty snacks accompanied by generous amounts of sugary drinks and alcohol.
The golden rule of the Scottish diet is that fat, sugar and alcohol should each account for at least 30% of your daily calorie intake. You may eat one serving of fruits per week, preferably as jams.
One of the best example of this wonderfully nutritious diet is Scotland's National Dish, the deep-fried Mars bar.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
peter
KG Regular

I understood that the Scottish diet 8s a result of Scotlands socio-economic history. :?
Heavy industry, farming and fishing, all based on manual labour, a high calorie intake that was burnt off.
This became part of the "culture", but while the nature of work changed the cultural choice of foods remained. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ahh, Scotland. Bless Scotland, I do wish Scotland could rebuild the wall for its own purpose. On my last visit, last year I noticed the English were coming back rather than going. Scotlands dietary reputation is kept alive for the amusement of the English who set rather a sad example when it comes to the queue for gastric revisions.

Back to noodles though, yes Westi, in the pot noodle pot there are ingredients that may do harm if eaten as a diet though because of the many U turns made by those in the business of doing studies and producing statistics can we be confident.

For seventy years I've eaten noodles, not pot noodles though. My mother would make a flour and egg mix then dribble it into whatever soup we were to ear. Sort-of like dumplings. I always have noodles to make noodle soup of some type and the story about me on top of a mountain eating pot noodle is true and our motorhome will always have noodles in stock. And spaghetti.

I try to eat meat but struggle, possibly because I have been meat free for so many years I feel as if I've eaten something I shouldn't. From the studies I did years ago it wasn't eating meat that caused various problems it was the amount of meat eaten and isn't digested that remains as putrefying material in parts of our digestive system that causes the problems. I have met many people who are on a meat diet who think it makes them strong.

If you do love your meat then eat a lot of kale, broccoli or dark cabbage to flush it through. The advise I was given fifty years ago by a nutritionist was to eat charcoal tablets every other day as a marker so I could prove, or-not, that I was evacuating my digestive system completely each day. Charcoal has been proven to be a carcinogen which proves the validity of that particular obsession.

And what about those who won't eat vegetables because they fear what is in the soil is leaching into our food. Glyphosate ? Unless you manage to eat organically it appears we are all ingesting glyphosate. The farmland round here that produces milk and meat regularly has glyphosate spread if there is a change of crop from grasses to barley or wheat.

I made it too seventy five and I'm trying my very best but I do enjoy a few glasses of wine with food, if I stopped drinking then all I have left is occasional swearing and driving a VW diesel car.
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Most of my my diet is home produced so predominantly veg and fruit based along with lots of egg dishes. Cakes and puddings when the hens are in full production and summer fruits plentiful. My new strawberry ice cream recipe is nice and healthy too☺ with 50% fruit - that's my excuse anyway.

I find that if you have lots of different vegetables you don't have much room for large chunks of meat so usually just have a bit of fish or chicken in summer or a nice quick salad.

We use more lamb and beef or liver with stews, curries and winter dishes.

I think about the range of nutrients I'm getting occasionally and increase the balance of protein, iron or whatever vitamins if I think I need a bit extra of anything. It helps that they taught us about nutrition in domestic science when I was at school and I've always had an interest in it and health. It goes very well with gardening and growing your own food.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I could easily feed myself from what I could grow and save but I'm just not well organised and would need a greenhouse or polytunnel, for one person it seems a lot of work though being well organised would solve the problem. My French climbing beans have only recently attached to the netting and though I have flowers the beans will arrive when beans are easy to buy and not expensive though expense isn't why we grow stuff.

I tested some peat free and organic compost from the new owner of New-Horizon, I sowed lettuce, spring onion and rocket in the New Horizon and in one of my raised beds. Same day, same seed. The New Horizon had again proved to be very-very poor with three or four seedlings showing whilst the seeds sown in the raised beds have produced complete rows minus what the slugs have managed to take.

Why did I buy New Horizon ? it's always proved to be poor.
Richard.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I gave up eating meat in the 80s after watching a programme on the TV showing how the animals were treated. I like most veg & fish, fortunately since moving away from the city to the coast I get lots of home grown veggies and fresh fish locally.

Glyphosate, no idea what that is but would it not get removed when cooking? I very rarely wash the veg before cooking, I apply the theory any nasties get cooked out.

Had some locale Norfolk spuds last night which were very tasty, it raised the comment that they were better than the Jersey’s.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm with you Colin - Jersey's are overrated, particularly in taste although texture is OK'ish!

What do the rest of you think is the perfect early? I grew Home Guard for the first time & I had several losses with the late frost so have consumed what I had, but they were well tasty! I've got some Jazzy looking fine, they were frost tipped but coped better so looking forward to tasting them based on the blurb from the suppliers so hope I'm not disappointed!
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have always said Jerseys were over rated and I was called a "Party-Pooper". I'm not experienced with all the spuds available that are better than Jersey Royal for my taste, Maris ? Comes to mind, PFR, the other nobly who's name escaped and others who's names won't come out of my grey matter this early in the morning.

I had a Bombay BadBoy noodles yesterday, it didn't contain MSG though I'm not scared of MSG. I didn't like it but I eat it for you Westi.
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't think you have to grow a fancy variety to get the new potato taste. It's like most things we grow; you get the flavour from harvest, cook, eat being as short as possible. Dug the last of my humble Rocket last Sunday, started 30th April. 10 seed cost £1.50 and have yielded just short of 15 Kgs in the tunnel and taste good enough to me. Going to have to investigate the outside Charlotte.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic