Mid Summer Bits and Bobs - 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think you make most of us smile, Richard!!!!!! :)

I only wear a straw hat on very sunny days and a bobble hat on the very coldest of days.........
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:

I only wear a straw hat on very sunny days and a bobble hat on the very coldest of days.........

Thank-goodness.

I also have two straw hats. One that looks like its been savaged by a dog and sat on for a long time, the other, dapper trilby style.

Because I have a shaved head wearing hats has become important most of the year though I don't wear hats to hide baldness, rather for protection.

I'm a proud slap-head.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

I was once ginger so generally keep well covered. Woolly hats of various thicknesses when it's cool or cold and sunhat (usually impregnated with midge repellent) when it is sunny. I have a sort of baseball cap - one of the reinforced ones for if I am likely to bang my head. Never wear shorts and rarely short sleeves. If this sort of Summer becomes the norm might have to consider sou'wester.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

But what irritated me about this article in the times, and it's not the first time a columnist his aired these views, is this stereotypical image of a 40 year old being too old to wear shorts and even a T-shirt.

I've had a lot of orthopaedic problems, hips spine, elbows and shoulder. Some were self inflicted and some were/are down to increasing age.

I see a lot of people at 70-ish who are very sprightly, look after themselves and have dignity. Some are overweight but with careful choices they look good.

I hadn't realised how active you stay if you have a garden/allotment to care for, this time of year if I get started around 7/8 o'clock I'm done in by 2. In the photos you'll see the ragwort and I have to cut it down/pull it out today, thats just a few paces of Pembrokeshire bank. Because of the rain it's a perfect time to roll out the bumpy bits but it started raining again and why I'm wasting time at the keyboard.

This is me at 72. Why can't I wear shorts and a T ?
Attachments
DSCF9200.png
DSCF9200.png (171.8 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg (118.82 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg (125.62 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Really annoyed with myself....saw two dodgy blokes walking fast along our lane, they wouldn't look at me and were pulling their hoodies up. So I put chase, caught up with one of them....he kept saying everything was alright, but wouldn't look at me. I returned home, rang the police....found out a little later, the house at the end of our lane had been broken into, if only I had known that first.
On a positive, someone has got the car and them on camera....

Blooming low life....they had got a very expensive, sporty Merc....I wonder how that was paid for.

Geoff
KG Regular

Brain training games may not provide the benefits to brain health they claim to, according to experts.
Instead, a report from the Global Council on Brain Health recommends that people engage in stimulating activities such as learning a musical instrument, designing a quilt or gardening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40801867

So it's quilting for you in the afternoons!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lovely pictures Richard....was the first picture, of when you were 40!!!!! :)

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

[quote="old herbaceous"....was the first picture, of when you were 40!!!!! :)[/quote]

Very kind OH.

Taken three years ago on the isle of Mull. I edited out the lovely lady who is my best friend ever. For sensible reasons, I might get a Boaxxxxing.

Its stopped raining so back to pulling the roller which is an easy job though pushing a wheelbarrow around the paddock and cutting out the ragwort might take an extra day.
Richard.
Colin2016
KG Regular

This time of year I live in shorts, never wear a hat/cap as still have all my own hair.
Monika
KG Regular

I wear shorts for a rather vigorous exercise class once a week, covering myself up on the way there and back home with a pair of long trousers. Last summer, on a very warm evening, I thought I would risk walking back in my shorts ..... oh dear, I had forgotten I had to walk past the village pub and, being such a lovely evening, everybody and their grandmother was sitting outside. Could have crawled into the gutter, me with my almost 80 years old legs!
richard p
KG Regular

my other half insists i wear shorts in the bits of the garden visible from the road.

i ve got a cotton hat thats got a zipped pocket in the side , just big enough to take a couple of keys...handy if youre not wearing anything else with pockets, keeps rain and sun off as well.
Westi
KG Regular

Wear what I want on lottie - don't care! If anyone offended by my veins, wrinkles & lately mud, then be offended in your little 'Young' bubble! I am growing things & not interested in fashion, well for lottie anyway!

Work though is different, hide the veins, wrinkle cream & smart gear! Bet you know which I prefer!
Westi
Mouse2
KG Regular

I've finally reached the stage where if I want to wear shorts I will. As a teenager, I was too self conscious to display my legs, and by the time I realized that they were my best asset, they were well past their sell-by date. Now, I reckon that if anyone is offended by the varicose veins, they can just look the other way! If it's warm enough, and nothing formal is on the agenda, I will wear what the hell I want (which might explain why locals think I have a scarecrow in the garden, though I don't! :lol: )
WestHamRon
KG Regular

richard p wrote:my other half insists i wear shorts in the bits of the garden visible from the road.

i ve got a cotton hat thats got a zipped pocket in the side , just big enough to take a couple of keys...handy if youre not wearing anything else with pockets, keeps rain and sun off as well.

Ooh err, missus ! :shock:
peter
KG Regular

Woo hoo! :D :D :D

Replacement bar has been ordered.
20' shipping container, with new flat end doors and a 16' × 4' roller shutter serving hatch.
Almost certain it will arrive after the first home game of the season, but as I'm at my nephew's wedding that day, means I'll still see it's first use - selfish I know but :wink: .
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic